Job Title: Teacher Naturalist
Organization: Montana Audubon Center
Type of opportunity: Teacher Naturalists form the core of our program staff at the Montana Audubon Center, responsible for implementation of hands-on, experiential, nature-connected education and interpretive programs at our 54-acre site and adjacent Yellowstone River corridor. Participant ages range from toddler to adult, with the bulk of our programming focused on upper elementary students. Teacher Naturalists must be comfortable leading groups of students in the outdoors and themselves have enthusiasm for connecting with and learning about the natural world. Programs and natural history subjects may include, but are not limited to: birds and birding, canoeing (flat-water), aquatic and terrestrial macroinvertebrates, water quality, geology, native plants and traditional uses, restoration ecology, animal tracking, winter ecology, noxious and invasive species, and ecology of ponds, wetlands, riparian areas, and rivers. All programming emphasizes individual experience, sensory observation, and cultural connections to the landscape, including those of Montana’s indigenous peoples.
- Guide, mentor, and educate participants in the exploration of the outdoors.
- Provide a safe environment for all program participants, including awareness of physical abilities, environmental hazards, and group dynamics.
- Maintain a high-quality program, including regular evaluations of successes and failures in structure, approach, equipment, or other aspects, and enhance or adapt as necessary.
- Communicate with parents, supervisors, other Audubon staff, and the general public about Audubon Center programs and mission.
- Comfortable working with children age 4-14.
- Experience leading groups for both education and exploration in an outdoor setting.
- Interest and/or specific knowledge of natural history subjects.
- Responsible, flexible, dependable, and enthusiastic.
Start and end dates: Position is part-time, hours are highly variable depending on program and season.
Salary/pay: Wages start at $10/hr
How to apply: Submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to
Carolyn Sevier, Center Director, firstname.lastname@example.org. For questions, contact Carolyn via e-mail or