Job Title: Director of Education and Conference Management
Organization: PLAN (Post Landfill Action Network)
Type of opportunity: PLAN is seeking a self-starting team member to bottom-line all annual and one-off events facilitated by the organization. This person will be part of an Education, Training and Events team. Primary responsibilities will be planning the annual Students for Zero Waste Conference (SZW) that occurs in the Fall, supporting the Points Of Intervention events that happen in the spring, and developing and coordinating digital and in-person workshops and training throughout the year. In addition to the oversight of educational programming, this position will be a member of the Campus Coordination team, supporting a cohort of member campuses via satellite advising. This position requires some travel, primarily to speaking events, and staff retreats.
Event Organizing and Management
- Students for Zero Waste Conference:
- Recruit and manage student volunteers to fulfill a variety of tasks
- Maintain project oversight and budget as well as long term strategic planning
- Create administrative systems to facilitate, communicate, and track the delegation of major event logistics
- Delegate tasks relating to the SZW Conference to the team and facilitate full-team meetings and decision-making processes as outlined in PLAN’s self-governance agreements
- Points of Intervention Events:
- Support the POI Coordinator in planning events and outreaching to attendees
- Manage relationships with partners (for-profit and non-profit) and negotiate sponsorships and opportunities to engage during these events
- Join on the road team for these events to provide event support
- Individual Speaking Events
- Work with Campus Coordination team to receive and respond to speaking event inquiries from campuses
Educational Programming Development
- Create and schedule digital and in-person training curriculum throughout the year (this responsibility will be handed off to another staff member at the height of SZW activities). Facilitation of curriculum will be shared amongst the entire Campus Coordination team.
- Coordinate with partner organizations offering leadership development training.
Campus Coordination and Retention
- Provide ongoing advising, guidance, and training for students from afar (and in-person as needed) on roughly 30 member campuses. In addition, negotiate the resigning process for these campuses each year and onboard new member campuses as needed.
- Assist in leading online training and workshops throughout the year
- Provide on-the-ground support for other in-person events throughout the year, including tour stops, speaking engagements, and PLAN’s annual Students for Zero Waste Conference
- Experience in organizing large events with multiple stakeholders, especially on a college or university campus.
- Background in campus organizing and student leadership with the ability to train and mentor student leaders on campuses across the country.
- Ability to see the logistical big picture, while also being able to check-in with team members on all of the nitty-gritty details of various event components.
- Strong task management and delegation abilities.
- Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills for working with fellow staff members, partner organizations, and event volunteers.
Preferred Skills (not required):
- Basic understanding or willingness to learn WordPress site management.
- Bilingual (Spanish)
- Experience building and/or supporting social media campaigns
Start and end dates: July 8th (Full-Time)
Salary/pay: Salaried position starting at $30,000/annually. Available benefits include PTO throughout the year, a designated electronics stipend, a monthly health insurance stipend, an annual cell phone plan.
Link to more information: https://www.postlandfill.org/careers-internships/?mc_cid=e768d379a3&mc_eid=eb4b95bb51
How to apply: Interested candidates should fill out the linked form which will ask you to upload a resume, cover letter, and peer reference.
Application deadline: Sunday, March 24th (at 11:59 pm)