Job Title: Survey Scout
Type of opportunity: USDA- Animal and Plant Health Services (APHIS)-Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ) is advertising for Survey Scout(s) to conduct insect pest surveys and related cooperative management programs throughout Wyoming.
Contact: 866-WYPEST1 (toll free) or 307-432-7979
Duties: Duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting visual surveys for specific invasive weeds and insect pests
- Conducting trapping and surveillance for insect pest programs
- Conducting biological control agent collections, releases, and monitoring
- Conducting management programs which may involve limited insecticide treatments
- Accomplishing all related record keeping, data entry, and mapping as assigned
- Communicating closely and working effectively with stakeholders and cooperators
- Operating 4×4 vehicles and off road vehicles (ORVs) supplied by APHIS.
- The ability to work constructively and effectively with the rancher/farmer community, and the federal, tribal, state, county cooperators involved, as well as with co-workers.
- * The ability to follow guidelines and instructions, to be self motivated and to work effectively, efficiently and independently with little direct supervision.
- * An academic background or interest in biology, entomology, agronomy, horticulture, agriculture, pest management, range management or related field is desirable but not required.
- * A ranch/farm or other agricultural background is desirable but not required.
- * Experience in operating ATV’s and 4-wheel drive vehicles is desirable but not required.
- * Experience in using computers and handheld mobile GPS devices is desirable but not required.
- * Willingness to work in rural and/or remote areas and the ability to use maps/GPS to navigate and accurately record locations in such areas.
- * In addition to the “skill/experience considerations”, listed above, APHIS will consider the potential of the individual selected to work “seasonally,” for the next one to multiple years.
GS-3 earns $12.74 per hour
GS-4 earns $14.30 per hour
How to apply: Interested applicants should submit a resume. (Provide complete and specific qualifications which include job-related training, experience, etc. including years/months of farm or ranch background, skills, education, awards or commendations. Specify related experience by length of time and hours per week worked, e.g. Ranch hand – 6 summers – June to Sept – 40 hours per week, Weed and Pest Employee – 3 months – 40 hours per week. ), and an OF-306 to the address below by March 8, 2019. Applicants should also include a listing of high school and college level science & agriculture courses completed.
OF-306 applications may be obtained at most Federal agencies or online at http://www.opm.gov/forms/html/of.asp, or by contacting the address below:
USDA, APHIS, PPQ
5353 Yellowstone Rd., Suite 208
Cheyenne, WY 82009
All applications may be mailed to the above address, faxed to 307-432-7970 or e-mailed to: Bruce.A.Shambaugh@aphis.usda.gov
Application deadline: March 8, 2019