Job Title: Bears Ears Education Center Manager
Organization: Friends of Cedar Mesa
Type of opportunity: Friends of Cedar Mesa is looking for a full-time Education Center Manager who will have the overall responsibilities of maximizing the impact of the center through visitor engagement and efficient day-to-day operation of the Center. The Manager will be the driver in designing and providing a positive experience to visitors, FCM volunteers, and donors. The work will involve the administration of the Education Center; oversight of budget and merchandising; setup for special educational, social, and cultural events; organizing volunteers and/or staff for the Education Center; and attending to the needs of daily visitors. There will be considerable room for other projects, as needed, beyond the operations of the Education Center, and applicants should expect to spend a significant portion of their time (up to 50% annually) assisting staff in furthering the mission and work of Friends of Cedar Mesa.
The employee is expected to work weekends during the spring, summer, and fall, with occasional to regular evenings. This position is expected to maintain a presence in the Education Center during open hours, and will be supported by other staff so as not to exceed 40 hours on site weekly. This is a permanent position but is dependent on annual funding. This position reports to the Education Director.
- Interview, recruit, assign and train new personnel including volunteers for Education Center alongside Education Director.
- Schedule and staff opening hours of Education Center.
- Plan and direct the setup for special events, including FCM’s largest annual fundraiser Celebrate Cedar Mesa.
- Update training and operations protocols.
- Manage the operation of the FCM retail shop including buying and inventorying merchandise.
- Manage the annual operating budget of the Education Center.
- Create a friendly, open, safe, and inclusive space for visitors, FCM staff & volunteers, and all guests.
- Work with Communications Manager to implement a robust marketing plan.
- Work with Education Director to align volunteer training and materials with Visit with Respect program.
- Lead interpretive programming as needed.
- Assist Education Director with the development of educational material and new programs as needed.
- Sustain existing relationships with regional education partners.
- Work with Administrative and Program staff to coordinate special events
- Track volunteer hours.
- Assist staff in other projects and programs as needed, especially in the winter season.
Desired qualifications: The Education Center Manager must be committed to FCM’s mission. All candidates should have proven organizational and computer skills. Concrete demonstrable experience and other qualifications include
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Patient, clear, and friendly communication skills (both written and verbal). Candidates should have a high level of cultural sensitivity and a passion for interacting with and educating visitors, volunteers, and others.
- Considerable knowledge of business management practices and principles, particularly retail sales.
- An attention to detail and organization
- Experience supervising the work of others including volunteers
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office platform and a demonstrated ability to learn new online platforms and databases.
- Ability to work positively and efficiently with a team in a hard-working environment.
- Flexibility in working independently and collaboratively.
- Must be willing to relocate to within 45 minutes of Bluff, UT, a tiny town with limited amenities and the best backyard in the world.
- Willingness and ability to develop skills in establishing and maintaining positive, effective working relationships with government officials, Tribal partners, and the general public.
- Ability to diplomatically engage with opposing and diverse perspectives.
Start and end dates: Regular, full-time employee with health insurance benefits and a generous vacation policy.
Salary/pay: $34,000- $38,000 depending on experience.
How to apply: Please send a resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline: Position open until filled.