Job Title: Development Writer
Organization: Wyoming Outdoor Council
Type of opportunity: The Wyoming Outdoor Council is seeking an experienced development writer to join our fundraising team. This individual will work closely with program and communications staff to identify key stories to tell current and potential funders, and will be responsible for producing a range of high-impact, persuasive communications on tight deadlines—including grant proposals, impact reports, and donor solicitations—to meet annual and long-term fundraising goals. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated excellent writing, proofreading, and editing skills, experience with project management, and an impeccable attention to detail. They will be skilled at grasping complex concepts and distilling them into crisp, well-organized, and compelling fundraising pitches for a variety of audiences. They will be self-motivated and highly organized, a team player, and a creative, strategic thinker.
- Preparing successful funding proposals, with close input from program staff.
- Preparing grant/impact reports.
- Maintaining portfolio of 12-20 foundations and tracking grant information in database.
- Maintaining grants schedule and meeting all submission deadlines.Working with executive director, program staff, and development team to identify and take on new foundation relationships.
- Successfully raising at least $400,000 annually through foundation and corporate grants.
- Drafting compelling solicitation letters (for all giving levels), email appeals, social mediaposts, and supporting materials for February renewal, June renewal, year-end renewal, and Old Bill’s and Challenge for Charities campaigns.
- Working with Associate Director/Membership Director to implement membership plan through solicitations
- Preparing biannual stewardship reports and other necessary materials for major donors.
- Drafting fundraising content for annual report and biannual Frontline.
- Working closely with development team to draft content and prepare materials as needed for long-term fundraising campaign, including print materials, web content, campaign pitches, donor reports.
- Work with development team to create a suite of materials for the Outdoor Council’s planned giving program.
- Supporting the Outdoor Council’s communications team as needed by editing andproofreading publications, letters, etc. and by preparing content as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in writing or related field.
- Three years of full-time professional experience in proposal or grant writing, or other persuasive writing.
- Demonstrated experience as a versatile and persuasive writer with excellent writing, research, editing, grammar, spelling, and proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated ability to translate high-level concepts for lay audiences in writing.
- Self-motivated, impeccable attention to detail, and ability to meet multiple deadlines in fast-paced environment.
- Team player with excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a good sense of humor.
- Familiarity with the geography, natural resources, culture of Wyoming, and conservation issues in the state—and/or ability to learn quickly.
- Experience with the standard suite of office tools and technology.
- Commitment to the mission of the Wyoming Outdoor Council.
- Master’s degree in writing or related field.
- Demonstrated knowledge of fundraising practices.
- Experience in proposal research and development.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of researching foundations and writing major gift proposals.
- Experience with EveryAction or similar CRM.
Start and end dates: ASAP
Salary/pay: This is a full-time, exempt position with a competitive salary commensurate with experience. The Wyoming Outdoor Council provides excellent medical, dental, and vision benefits; a generous leave policy; and the opportunity to participate in a retirement plan.
How to apply: Email a letter of interest detailing how your experience and skills match this position description, a resume, a writing sample, and contact and relationship information for three references to Kristen Brown email@example.com (please put “Development Writer” in the subject). The position will remain open until filled.
Application deadline: November 15