Job Title: Professional Outdoor Instructor Internship
Organization: Bradford Woods – Indiana University
Type of opportunity: The Professional outdoor Instructor internship provides an opportunity to positively impact the lives of hundreds of students while at Bradford Woods. The internship presents a cross-trained experience in three program centers including Adventure Education, Environmental Education, and Retreats. Focus will be placed on area of interest and will include assistance in building client relationships, program preparation and delivery, curriculum development, property inspection, maintenance, and upkeep. The internship will also require a special project which should be attainable in the duration of the internship semester. This project shall realistically support current or future endeavors and act to increase revenue for the department.
Contact: Check out http://www.bradwoods.org or call 765-342-2915 for more information
- Ability and desire to work with children of all ages and abilities in an outdoor setting.
- Prior knowledge, training, classes, and/or experience in outdoor education
- Ability and desire to assume leadership and facilitation roles with children, especially in the field of outdoor environmental education
- Excellent communication, time management, and organizational skills including English language proficiency.
- Ability to interact with and work as a team player with other staff and participants.
- Ability to serve as a positive role model to program participants, staff and the community. 7. Ability to work in a fast paced environment, which can be both physically and emotionally demanding.
- Ability to learn and grow in the position by accepting constructive feedback from participants, co-workers and supervisor.
- Ability to complete accurate documentation on a regular basis. 10. Ability to perform additional duties as assigned.
- Previous training and skills in teaching outdoor environmental education to children in grade levels from 4th – 8th grade.
- Previous knowledge, training, class work and/or experience in environmental education, outdoor education, experiential education, science inquiry, and stewardship of our environment.
- CPR and First Aid required
- WFA or WFR highly desirable
- Lifeguard certification highly desirable particularly for summer and fall internships
- Willingness to learn
- Maintain a high level of activity including ability to be highly mobile.
- Stamina to endure long hours in a position that is both physically and emotionally demanding. 3. Ability to provide a safe, fun learning environment for all.
- Ability to entertain and teach during evening programs in an educational manner with co-workers for the benefit of the participants.
- Ability to assess needs of participants and staff.
- Ability to solve problems.
- Ability to make judgment decisions.
- Ability to communicate needs, concerns, and questions. 5. Ability to understand and remember.
- Ability to demonstrate responsibility.
- Ability to follow directions.
- $200/week x 12 weeks plus free housing and partial board (meals while working with program). Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day are prorated if not worked for program.
- Room and partial board while on duty.
- Comprehensive training at one of the world’s premiere outdoor centers.
How to apply: Apply here.