Job Title: Photography Intern
Organization: WY Game & Fish Department
Contact: Laura 307-777-4507 firstname.lastname@example.org
Type of opportunity: Capture the wild creatures and places of Wyoming through world-class wildlife photography and the written word for the Wyoming Game and Fish Department and its conservation magazine during this three- to five-month internship.
You’ll have the opportunity to spend time pursuing the state’s diverse and abundant wildlife with a camera, leading workshops for amateur photographers, learning about species behavior and wildlife management from agency fish and wildlife biologists and working alongside passionate and dedicated members of the Game and Fish team and its partners. In addition, you will be called upon to write occasional articles and other notes about your photographic adventures.
The internship is extremely hands-on. After training, an intern will regularly travel Wyoming, taking photos and video for the department as well as future department magazine articles. Interns will remotely send photos and video as well as edit them using the full suite of Adobe products. With coaching, the intern will also write about Wyoming’s wildlife and the people who manage it. Photo and writing assignments have included night shots of ferrets and bats, electrofishing, and of course, tagging along for studies of big game and Game and Fish sponsored events
Duties: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed in the job level.
- Still wildlife photography, editing and design.
- Videography and video editing.
- Leading wildlife photography workshops.
- Writing occasional articles for department and/or magazine use.
- Travel by vehicle and along trails into the backcountry.
Preference may be given to those pursuing a degree in photojournalism, digital media, communications and those with some education or experience related to fish and wildlife resource management, research, habitat development or another closely related field.
**Agency requires a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to work well independently with minimal supervision, and also able to work well with others.
- Requires flexible schedule and working up to 12 hours per day.
- Experience in the outdoors and with wildlife.
- Experience taking, toning and preparing photography for print and Web publishing.
- Ability to teach others basic skills related to photography, particularly wildlife photography.
- Ability to exemplify professionalism and respect for the public during all interactions on behalf of the magazine and Wyoming Game and Fish Department.
- Ability to conduct simple interviews and write creative, accurate articles and captions.
Salary/pay: $12.00 Hourly
How to apply: Apply here.