Job Title: Program Assistant – Community Engagement
Organization: Feeding Laramie Valley
Type of opportunity: Feeding Laramie Valley (FLV) is looking for a Program Assistant to help in all aspects of program organization, outreach, marketing and promotion. The Program Assistant will be expected to work independently at times in a leadership capacity with volunteers. The position involves assisting with organizational operations including making phone calls, emails, and recruiting volunteers as needed.
- Primary responsibility will be organizing FLV’s Food and Fun in the Park, our annual end of summer celebration in LaBonte Park that draws up to 400 people each summer. The Program Assistant will help with planning the menu, securing music, planning family activities, designing the layout of the event and recruiting volunteers.
- Design and distribute flyers, create social media posts, radio spots and newspaper coverage.
- Support FLV’S other summer programs and events, Kids Out to Lunch, Gardens for Health and Healing and the Higher Ground Fair when necessary. • Attend weekly FLV staff meetings.
- Assist with field trips and visitors to the FLV building.
- Assist with occasional garden questions by directing people to the correct resource.
- Summer Associates are asked to provide a weekly personal narrative (and photo/art journal if desired) of their experience to the FLV Founder and supervisor.
Start and end dates: Exact dates TBA approximately June 1 to August 2 (Ability to commit to entire 10-week season with some holiday, weekend and/or evening work as required. There is occasional flexibility in the schedule with supervisor’s advance approval.)
- Each 8-hour day includes a one-hour lunch break. Required, all-staff breakfast meetings are conducted once every two weeks with a start-time of 8:00 a.m.
- Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
Salary/pay: Bi-weekly living allowance of about $479.00, 35/hour work week for 10 weeks. Choice of an end-of-service education award of about $1,311.00 that can be used for future school payments or federal student loans, or cash stipend accrued at approximately $4.94 per day, approximately $345.00 for 10 weeks.
How to apply: Essay and interview required. If selected for an interview, two references will be required. Applicants are asked to write a detailed essay expressing how this experience will benefit social justice projects throughout the community as well as how working for Feeding Laramie Valley will enhance their personal and professional goals. In this essay, please describe why this position interests you, what relevant experience you may have, and why you would be a good fit for Feeding Laramie Valley.
Please email essay and full contact information to Lina Dunning, firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact us at 307-223-4399 for alternative delivery methods. A resume may also be included but is not required. Please place in the email subject line: 2020 VISTA Summer Associate – Program Assistant
Application deadline: Applications will be accepted until filled.