Cheyenne, WY with statewide travel
Job Title: Conservation Educator
Organization: Wyoming Game & Fish Department
Duties: The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is seeking a Conservation Educator located in Cheyenne, WY. The Conservation Educator will further outreach and education efforts by assisting in the planning and leadership of regional conservation day-camps throughout the state of Wyoming and five-week-long overnight conservation camps near Dubois, Wyoming. Additionally, the position will assist in planning and executing the educational logistics of the Wyoming Outdoor Expo. The position also will assist in creating lesson plans/teaching resources and will teach various conservation education programs in the spring and fall, providing the public with information about wildlife, fisheries, habitat management, ecology, hunting, fishing, and other outdoor skills. This position is a nine-month contract beginning in mid-January and tentatively going through mid-September.
- Preference will be given to those with a bachelor’s degree in education, natural resource sciences, wildlife/fisheries biology, ecology, or other related fields.
- Preference will be given to those who have experience safely supervising students in an outdoor education environment.
- Preference will be given to those with wilderness first aid/wilderness first responder certifications.
- Must have a driver’s license
- Must be able to work well independently with minimal supervision and work well with others on a team and serve as a peer leader.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work with all ages and backgrounds.
- Must have the ability to work outdoors in varied terrain and weather conditions, and be comfortable pulling trailers and operating 4WD vehicles.
- Ability to maintain composure and delegate while continuously changing work conditions.
- Must be able to responsibly maintain direct supervision of up to 25 youth while involved with fishing, archery, air rifle, orienteering, science investigations, backcountry hikes, and team builders.
- Knowledge of Wyoming ecology and wildlife, in addition to experience with other outdoor recreation skills.
- Must have excellent communication skills, strong organizational and leadership skills, enthusiasm, flexibility, and a passion for working with students.
- Must demonstrate teaching skills and the ability to implement creative “hands-on” teaching methods and the ability to create new educational content.
- Ability to manipulate large quantities of data to create complex scheduling matrices and/or pivot tables utilizing Microsoft Excel
Start/End dates: mid January 2021 – mid September 2021
How to apply: Apply on the State of Wyoming careers webpage