Boulder County, CO
Job Title: Agricultural Resources Division Manager
Organization: Boulder County Careers
Overview: This position provides leadership to a highly qualified team of agricultural land and water resources specialists who perform a multitude of duties to support agricultural activities on the 25,000 irrigated, dryland, and rangeland acres held by the county open space program. The approach to stewarding agricultural land is to partner with farmers and ranchers who lease the land for a broad spectrum of farming and livestock operations. This position requires a strong commitment to advancing sustainable agricultural practices that enhance soil health, mitigate and adapt to climate change, and reduce reliance on pesticides and synthetic fertilizers. It also requires equally strong managerial and leadership skills in order to effectively lead a diverse team in implementing the county’s vision for sustainable agriculture, support tenants whose farming practices vary from organic market farms to conventional commodity production, and strategically direct staff and financial resources to address a myriad of concerns ranging from protecting and utilizing water rights to resolving infrastructure maintenance backlogs.
- Oversee and guide the implementation of departmental and county agricultural goals, including the successful transition away from genetically-engineered corn and sugar beets, enhanced soil health and agricultural productivity/viability, and increased environmental performance (e.g., pollinator habitat, carbon sequestration) on Open Space agricultural lands.
- Manage and lead a team of thirteen agricultural land and water resources staff, including four direct report supervisors, to ensure timely progress on workgroup objectives, align ongoing work with department and workgroup strategic plans, and facilitate collaboration with other department workgroups.
- Refine the division’s strategic plan and implement it by directing staff resources and annual work plans, administering the division’s annual budget, and creating standard operating procedures that increase efficiency.
- Participate in the department’s Management Team by representing the Agricultural Resources Division and agricultural interests, and collaborate with peers to provide organizational stewardship.
- Represent the department and perspectives of its agricultural tenants to diverse publics including neighbors, interest groups, stakeholders, the Board of County Commissioners, and the Parks & Open Space Advisory Committee in a variety of settings.
- Work with a wide variety of agricultural producers who represent a broad spectrum of agricultural operations, experience, and goals.
- Collaborate extensively with other department staff and agencies on a variety of land management activities pertaining to wildlife habitat, climate change adaptation and mitigation, and recreational development.
- Perform related work, as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Boulder County is looking for well qualified candidates to fill our positions. Any combination of relevant education and experience is encouraged. In this position, we are looking for a minimum of 8 years of combined education and experience, including 2 years in a supervisory capacity.
- Applicants must possess a valid driver’s license and good driving record
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK:
- Applicants must pass a criminal background check
- Demonstrated experience and success in leading and managing multiple high-performing staff.
- At least four years of experience in a management position.
- Demonstrated ability to provide short and long-term strategic vision and direction to teams within a multi-disciplinary organization.
- A bachelor’s degree in agronomy, agricultural management, business administration, public administration, or a closely related field.
- Experience in public administration.
- Direct experience in production agriculture and/or natural resource management.
Application Deadline: November 30
How to apply: Please click here