Job Title: Internship
Organization: LU Ranch
Organization Overview: The LU Ranch has been a family-owned ranch for 4 generations, over which time it has developed a reputation for environmental stewardship and being a forward thinking operation. They are located in the foothills of the Absaroka Mountains between Thermopolis and Meeteetse, WY. The ranch is a cow-calf operation that maintains a herd of 1,400+ breeder cows and consists of approx. 150,000 acres of a combination of deeded and leased land. The vision is to operate a profitable commercial ranch that maintains and improves the health and wellbeing of the social and environmental ecosystems in which we live and work. They do this by combining new ideas, techniques and technology with tried-and-true methods to constantly improve the ability to bring high quality beef to market using sustainable ranching practices.
Type of Opportunity: The LU Ranch is looking to hire an intern for the summer of 2021 to help launch a new direct-to-consumer sales initiative, as well as help with other tasks that are part of the ranch’s day-to-day operations. The purpose of the direct-to-consumer initiative is to help the LU create a new income source by selling cow-shares and beef directly to consumers. This summer the plan is to focus on these specific components:
- Develop and launch a marketing strategy that will include online promotion via website and social media, product distribution and branding.
- Establish partnerships with meatpacking facilities and other key stakeholders.
- Creating a robust financial model to ensure the profitability of the initiative.
The specific goals and expectations of the internship will be developed in cooperation with the LU Ranch management team, and they will be based on the capabilities and interests of the intern, and the needs of the ranch.
- Has completed a minimum of 2 years of relevant undergraduate coursework (or equivalent education and work experience).
- Able to commit to approximately 3 months of full-time work on the LU Ranch (May-August)
- Comfortable living in a remote location and working outdoors without access to basic facilities and comfort.
- Willing to help with basic ranch tasks and events, such as branding, fencing and spraying weeds (estimated 20 hours per week).
- Self-starter with initiative who can make responsible decisions with minimal supervision.
- A wage of $10 per hour.
- Free housing, utilities and wifi.
- Opportunities to work with government agencies, non-profits and other industry organizations.
- Opportunity to develop and complete at least one project that will have real impact.
- Learn how a commercial ranch works and how it engages with partner organizations.
- Regular mentorship and professional development opportunities.
- Opportunity to receive academic credit for work.
How to apply: Please email a copy of your resume and a cover letter explaining why you are interested in the position and how you think it will benefit your career goals to Heather Love (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Application deadline: March 15