currently remote, Washington, DC
Job Title: Program Coordinator
Organization: The Ecological Society of America
Type of Opportunity: ESA seeks an energetic candidate with strong organizational and communication skills to provide administrative and logistical support for a variety of programs in the Office of Society Programs (e.g., ESA’s Sustaining Biological Infrastructure Training Initiative, and the Panel on Vegetation Classification). A basic background in and appreciation for ecology, biology, or environmental sciences is desired.
The Program Coordinator will work with the Society Programs Director to organize and manage special ESA meetings, workshops, and training events that will bring scientists together on a wide range of topics. Duties include taking notes, updating websites, scheduling meetings, taking photos and creating promotional materials, and tracking budget information. There may be opportunities to network with scientists in a variety of disciplines and contribute to workshop/grant reports and presentations.
- Organization and planning: assist with meeting and workshop planning to ensure events run smoothly; manage virtual delivery of events or (post-pandemic) onsite logistical details for events, including a/v, room setup, printed materials, and timekeeping; schedule and manage conference calls for working groups.
- Communications and writing: take effective and concise notes during conference calls and events; contribute to workshop and meeting reports and presentations; liaise with workshop and meeting participants as needed through email, phone, and in-person communication; help draft and proofread grant proposals and reports.
- Outreach and marketing: create and refine outreach materials for Science Office programs; this may include email campaigns, flyers, website updates, liaising with ESA’s Public Affairs office regarding social media updates, and creating/editing videos.
- Data entry: act as the point of contact for travel reimbursements; monitor and report on travel budgets.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree, with a strong interest or experience in environmental studies, ecology, or a related field
- Well-organized, detail-oriented, and able to handle multiple tasks
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Basic computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite
- Willing to perform data entry and other essential tasks
- Project management experience
- Meeting facilitation experience in face-to-face or online environments
- Experience with Microsoft Publisher, Microsoft Teams, Zoom, or Google Classroom
- Experience with WordPress or basic HTML skills
- Experience managing social media accounts (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram)
- Individuals are encouraged to apply even if they don’t meet 100% of these preferred qualifications.
Salary/pay: $18-$22 per hour
Application Review: Starts February 15
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter and resume, combined in one pdf file, to email@example.com with “Program Coordinator” in the subject line. Interviews for shortlisted candidates will begin shortly after February 15. The position is open until filled.