Job Title: Summer Graduate Internship in Water Markets
Organization: WestWater Research
Overview: WestWater Research’s 2021 Summer Associate in Water Markets offers a challenging project-focused opportunity to gain direct experience in water market transactions and water resource finance and investments. The internship is ideal for recent graduates or students expecting to graduate in 2021. Ideal candidates will have completed master’s level programs in agricultural and resource economics, economics, finance, or MBA programs, as well as other interdisciplinary programs with an emphasis in economics and finance.
Currently seeking applicants looking to gain insight and experience in the growing sector of water trading and investments. Students with an interest or experience in agriculture or water management will find such a background helpful. This position provides exposure and applied experience in water resource valuation, financial consulting, water market transactions advisement. It is an opportunity to spend three months with leading experts in the sector. WestWater has a tradition of hiring interns upon graduation and is actively seeking early-stage professionals interested in developing a career with the company.
Job Description: Summer associates will spend approximately three months in one of WestWater’s Phoenix, Fort Collins, or Boise offices, conducting a research project. We will be offering an option to work remotely for the 2021 summer associate term. The selection of the research project topic will be based on the chosen candidate’s interests and research priorities within WestWater’s consulting practice. The associate will have the opportunity to work and contribute to client-related projects and participate in client meetings and engagements. Projects can be a topic proposed by the applicant or may also include a subject that contributes to one of WestWater’s ongoing client consulting projects. This year’s research priorities include:
- California water market price forecasting model utilizing NQH2O and Waterlitix data – this project will require an interest in technical, financial, and econometric modeling.
- Business plan for commercial applications of geospatial water banking database.
- New product development strategies for Waterlitix.
- Impact investment strategies for expanding environmental water trading.
- Data analysis and organization.
- Financial and/or economic modeling and forecasting.
- Summarizing key findings concisely in an executive report in a presentation format.
- Writing and summarizing findings in an extended report format.
- Ability to write clearly and professionally.
- Experience and competence in data management and research.
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative analysis techniques.
- Proficiency with Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Resource or Agricultural Economics, Management, Economics, Finance, Business, Engineering, or related water resource field, with excellent grades.
- Strongly Preferred: Working toward a graduate degree in Resource, Agricultural, or Applied Economics, Engineering, Environmental Studies, Finance, Business Administration (MBA), or related field, with excellent grades.
- Detail oriented.
- Independent and self-motivated.
- Interest in water markets and water investments.
Start/end dates: June-August, full time (40 hours/week)
Location: One of WestWater’s Phoenix, Fort Collins, or Boise offices
Compensation: A monthly stipend of $5,000 per month
How to apply: The summer associate position is competitive and will be based on the applicant’s qualifications and ability to communicate information and concepts. To be considered for the summer associate position, applicants MUST submit the following information:
• Resume and cover letter expressing interest in water resource finance and water markets, your professional goals.
• A one-page proposal describing a research project you wish to conduct as part of your summer associate position. The proposal should include a statement of objective, description, and background of the issue or problem you seek to address, the data or other resources you expect to need, and a description of the deliverable. The proposal should not exceed one-page.
• A recent writing sample, such as a paper prepared for coursework, demonstrating your ability to summarize and communicate business information.
Incomplete application packages will not be considered. A complete application package with all materials in PDF format must be submitted to email@example.com.
Application Deadline: March 27, phone interviews and offers will occur in early April