Position Title: Communications Director
Organization: Wild Animal Initiative
Position Overview: Wild Animal Initiative is seeking a Communications Manager to work directly with the leadership team to develop content strategy and production across a variety of platforms. They’re looking for a communications generalist who can scale their outreach to academic researchers, nonprofit collaborators, and prospective donors. The ideal candidate will have 5 years of communications experience, 2 years of public relations experience, and a history of connecting with scientific audiences. This is a full-time, fully remote, US-based position on a small, flexible team that is looking to double in size over the next year.
Qualifications: The success of the mission depends on the diversity of the team. They strongly encourage people of every color, age, orientation, gender, origin, and physical ability to apply.
- Work experience: 5 years of experience in relevant communications roles, including at least two years of experience in public relations (Preferred: marketing agency experience).
- Pitching: Demonstrated ability to build media relationships and successfully place stories in prominent publications.
- Science communications: Demonstrated ability to communicate technical information in a way that is simultaneously compelling to experts and accessible to non-experts.
- Storytelling: Demonstrated ability to shape clear, effective, and engaging narratives from ideation to delivery.
- Cross-functional work: Demonstrated ability to coordinate communications work across earned, owned, shared, and paid media.
- Management: 2 years experience managing direct reports working across multiple channels.
- Relevant scientific experience: Work, volunteer, or course experience in conservation, environmental sciences, biology, or related fields.
- Press contacts: A strong network of relationships with journalists at publications read by scientists and academics.
- Graphic design: Ability to design and produce digital graphic materials for our website, social media, or marketing.
- Public speaking: Comfortable and effective at speaking in front of live audiences with or without rehearsal.
Start Date: August 1
Application Deadline: May 31 at 9 a.m. ET
How to apply & application deadline: To view the full job description as well as how to apply, click here