Position Title: Communications Coordinator
The Communications Coordinator will be responsible for a variety of communications including emails, blog posts, web content and social content. We are seeking a strong, nimble writer and an attentive, detail-oriented editor. This person should be extremely organized and able to handle a high volume of information coming their way.
The content this role will produce is intended primarily for Citizens’ Climate supporters and potential volunteers. Our supporter base is diverse in many ways, including politically, so to be successful in this position, candidates need to demonstrate their ability to communicate effectively with both conservative and progressive audiences.
Note that the interview process for this position will include writing and editing exercises to confirm your competence with all of these skills.
CCE works to build nationwide support for a revenue neutral carbon dividend approach to address climate change and coordinates with a 501(c)(4) sister organization, Citizens’ Climate Lobby (CCL), when volunteers engage in advocacy for specific legislation.
Position Reports To: Flannery Winchester, Communications Director – Atlanta, Georgia (Position is remote)
Schedule: Full-time. Occasional evening and weekend hours may be necessary for special events or when dealing with volunteers in different time zones. Expect twice-yearly travel post-Covid.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Manage and execute CCL’s primary email communications to volunteers
- Gather and organize content submissions for weekly email to CCL subscribers
- Write all copy for the email, including subject lines and CTA button language
- Upload and test the email through ActOn platform
- Ensure timely deployment each week
- Manage a content calendar for these emails to ensure that content needs for future weeks are met
- Alongside supervisor, review performance of emails and think creatively about how to evolve the content and improve engagement
Manage and execute CCL’s blog
- Manage the content calendar for the CCL blog, planning subject matter that regularly highlights various segments of our audience (youth, conservatives, BIPOC volunteers, international supporters, etc.)
- Write blog posts that effectively connect with all types of volunteers
- Copyedit and proofread blog post submissions from other staff members or interns
- Test and deploy the blog posts through WordPress platform
- Ensure timely publication of posts
- Alongside supervisor, review performance of blog posts and think creatively about how to evolve the content and improve engagement
Support other relevant departments with content needs
- Other departments that work closely with Communications (such as Marketing, Program, and Development) need occasional copywriting and proofreading support. This role would provide that support as necessary. Examples could include, but are not limited to:
- Write or edit copy for a website landing page or a white paper
- Write or edit copy for social media platforms
- Proofread copy for a volunteer asset, such as an Action Sheet
- Proofread copy for a grant proposal or an Annual Report
Supervision Exercised: This is not a supervisory role, but we may wish to bring on seasonal interns to support your work.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in English, communications, creative writing, journalism, etc. preferred
- Passionate about solving climate change
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Highly organized
- Communicates clearly and efficiently with colleagues
- Familiarity with conservative politics/ideology a plus
- Competent with Google Docs, Google Calendar, Gmail
- Competent or willing to learn platforms such as ActOn, Sprout Social, and WordPress
Compensation: $60,000 per year annual salary. Benefits for a full-time position include health insurance (eligibility after waiting period), dental and vision insurance, life insurance, and a 401K retirement plan. Two weeks accrued vacation for all first-year employees. An additional week of vacation is accrued after one year of employment with Citizens’ Climate.
How to Apply:
Apply through Zip Recruiter here: https://www.ziprecruiter.com/jobs/citizens-climate-education-543cc678/communications-coordinator-remote-056bcd65. Target deadline for applications: Until Filled
CCE & CCL are non-partisan, non-profit organizations with educational programs and lobbying activities [501(c)(3) and (c)(4) designations]. Citizens’ Climate Education affords equal employment opportunities to applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.