Position Title: Education Specialist
Organization: Zoo Montana
Location: Billings, MT
Position Summary: The ZooMontana Education Specialist creates and implements educational outreach programming for specialized groups such as schools, clubs, and Zoo visitors. The position serves as the point person for school tours and onsite community-building programming. The Education Specialist is also responsible for amphitheater program delivery. All programs include animal handling.
- Deliver on and off-site education programs at schools, business meetings and/or special events.
- Implement onsite programs and events such as ZooTots, Breakfast with the Animals, Amphitheater programs, and birthday parties.
- Act as point person during onsite events.
- Deliver tours for onsite guests when needed.
- Handle animals under appropriate policies and protocols, including mammals, birds of prey and reptiles.
- Assist with training of education animals for program use.
- Work towards the development of new nature-based educational programming for various ages that meet and/or exceeds Montana state standards and national benchmarks.
- Maintain records regarding number of programs delivered and children reached.
- Provide ideas to help enhance efficiency as well as to improve the quality of interpretation provided to the guests of ZooMontana.
- Aids and conducts media promotions, including on-camera interviews with animals.
- Aids in implementation of conservation projects.
- Help maintain a clean and safe work environment within ZooMontana.
- Helps to implement fire, animal death, and animal escape protocol.
- Conduct light office cleaning.
- Assist animal care staff as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work on weekends, holidays, and flexible hours as well as various evening hours. • Must be willing to adapt to future program changes.
- Must be willing to utilize technology within educational programming including but not limited to PowerPoint presentations, smart board technology, and video editing technology.
- Maintain clean driving record for safe operation of Zoo vehicles and possess and maintain a state of Montana driver’s license.
- Must have excellent interpretation skills, be comfortable with public speaking, and be able to improvise when needed.
- Must be able to work with animals, adults, and children of various backgrounds. • Must possess a high school diploma, with a life science degree preferred.
- Must be able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to withstand typical Montana climate
- Must be able to communicate well with public and present a positive attitude even in difficult situations.
- Must be detail-oriented and possess good record keeping methods, while being self-motivated and able to think logically and solve any problems that arise with little or no guidance.
Prefer 2 years’ experience within informal education setting. Animal handling experience a plus. Strong public speaking skills and ability to improvise are very important. Strong team player skills a must. Computer experience including Windows Word, Excel, Canva, Adobe Suite, and PowerPoint is also preferred.
How to Apply:
Please send: Current Resume, Cover letter, List of three references, Letter of recommendation (optional)
to Katie Elam, Education Lead:
ZooMontana, c/o Katie Elam
2100 Shiloh Rd Billings, MT, 59106