Colorado Springs, CO
Job Title: AmeriCorps Environmental Education
Organization: Catamount Institute
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Program Overview: Led by the Colorado Alliance for Environmental Education (CAEE), the Environmental Education Corps (eeCorps) AmeriCorps Program places AmeriCorps members at organizations throughout Colorado to focus on increasing environmental literacy for PreK-12 students and implementing the goals outlined in the Colorado Environmental Education Plan. eeCorps works directly with teachers, schools, and environmental education providers to support them in expanding reach and increasing impact of EE programming, while providing access to equitable learning experiences for all PreK-12 students. eeCorps members provide direct service to improve outcomes in Environmental Stewardship and Education. AmeriCorps provides opportunities to improve lives and foster civic engagement all across the country.
This position will be located at Catamount Institute in Colorado Springs. Catamount Institute’s mission is to connect kids to the outdoors through science education and adventure learning. Their programs are designed to use the natural curiosity of the child to spark a love for life-long learning. Through their state-recognized youth programs, they work to make environmental education accessible to all, regardless of socioeconomic status and strive to create environmental leaders who will contribute to the next generation of stewards.
Position Summary: The AmeriCorps Member will directly support the Executive Director and School Programs Director by building programmatic capacity for the organization by conducting standard based environmental programs for K -12 including field trips, at school programs, after school programs and weekend one time public experiences with a team of staff and volunteers. Additional responsibilities include developing program materials, marketing and fundraising plans, and representing and presenting at related community events and conferences.
Duties: eeCorps members engage with their Host Site organizations to develop, implement, and enhance programs, projects, and activities that will create progress towards eeCorps and Catamount Institute’s goals. These duties include:
- Facilitate school programs including field trips, at school programs, after school programs and weekend one time public experiences with a team of staff and volunteers
- Prepare marketing plans for existing programs which include timelines and contacts
- Develop newsletters for field trips and other programs
- Assist with photography and videography portfolio
- Develop a comprehensive volunteer recruitment plan
- Collaborate with other Catamount Institute staff to evaluate and report on youth programs
- Assist in the acquisition and inventory of program resources, including, but not limited to, volunteers, equipment, supplies, specimens, and books
- Regularly meet with the School Programs Director and Executive Director to review educational programs
- Collaborate with staff to develop annual marketing, partnership, funding, and public relations plans for programs
- Provide program descriptions and information for publications and website to Marketing and Communication staff
- Track progress and collect evaluation data for the program’s performance measures
- Attend all eeCorps AmeriCorps trainings and orientations
- Complete National Days of Service projects as required by the eeCorps program
- Complete and submit all necessary eeCorps paperwork and reports by predetermined deadlines
- Some local and out of town travel required to annual conferences
- Attend trainings and seminars as directed to maintain or attain relevant knowledge and certifications needed to support the educational department
- Represent and present at relevant community programs, events, and conferences
- Patience required, as the member will be serving with children
- Ability to lift 30 pounds
- Ability to work in an outdoor setting in varying weather conditions for several hours at a time
- First Aid/CPR certified (re/certification costs are provided)
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Previous experience working with school-aged children a plus
- Adaptable and energetic, quick learner under new circumstances
- Ethic of national and community service and a strong desire to create positive change
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; computer literate
- Passion for diversity and inclusion
- High School Diploma or GED required, college graduate preferred
- Ability to pass criminal history check
- Reliable transportation and proof of auto insurance
- S. Citizenship or lawful permanent resident status required
- Colorado residents are encouraged to apply
- A living allowance of $560.71 distributed twice per month up to a maximum of $7,850 for the duration of their service term. Taxes are deducted and the living allowance is distributed twice per month by direct deposit to the member’s bank account.
- An education award of $3,172.50 upon successful completion of term of service.
- It is possible to defer student loans while serving as an AmeriCorps member.
- Mileage reimbursement for travel to required trainings and days of service
- Ability to obtain CAEE’s nationally-recognized Professional Environmental Educator Certification
- Ability to participate in local Colorado nonprofit roundtables and training and Regional EE Leadership Councils
- Non-tangible benefits including extensive training, valuable experience, networking, and the opportunity to serve the local community in a crucial area of need.
How to apply: If you are interested in applying to this position, please send your resume and a short cover letter outlining your interest in the program and commitment to national service to Kat Riley, AmeriCorps Program Director, at email@example.com. Please also attach a list of three (3) references and a diversity and inclusion statement that is no longer than one page in length. Include “AmeriCorps Catamount Application” in the subject line, and combine all application materials into a single PDF.
To view the full jobs description, please click here.