Job Title: Wyoming Civic Engagement Network Director
Organization: Wyoming Civic Engagement Network
- Coordinate a network of 15-25 organizations, train leaders and network staff in civic engagement strategies and tools, assist with partners’ data and narrative strategies
- Finalize (based on draft plans from the team) and execute the 2021-2022 Strategic Plan developed during the 2021 incubation period, which includes:
- Finalize network agreement between WyCEN and partners
- Train organizers and leaders to grow the civic capacity of partners
- Work with partners and strategic advisors to identify organizations’ non-voting members and increase voter participation
- Work with participating organizations to develop plans for candidate engagement on core issues.
- Work with WIN and WON, while upholding the spirit and letter of state and federal law on (c)(3)/(c)(4) collaboration, to grow the civic culture of Wyoming.
- Work with strategic partners of narrative development to aid partner organizations to better connect with voters and potential voters who care about their issues.
- Coordinate with participant organizations across specific strategies such as voter registration, voter education and GOTV, and accountability efforts.
- Fundraise in conjunction with the Director of WIN and others through donor development and grant writing. Director will be responsible for growing the WyCEN budget; funding for this position is in place for at least three years so fundraising will be to diversify the donor base, one additional staff for 2023-24, and programmatic needs.
- Work with the broader collaborative to establish five and ten year plans for WyCEN.
Power-building and civic infrastructure are not the easiest things to do, train people to do, or to achieve measurable results in; however, we believe that the goal of bringing together an informed and engaged body of organizations to aggregate resources and capacity for focused work across the state can make a meaningful difference in the future of Wyoming. WyCEN is the only group focused solely on growing civic capacity in the state; as such there is huge potential to go long and deep. We are looking for someone who can take this work to the next level.
- Be fearless. This work can be hard but it is rewarding and will show results in tangible ways for all Wyoming residents.
- Be strategic and focused. It is easy to get distracted by urgent emerging issues. This job requires a long-term view and an ability to stay the course.
- Be organized. There will be many moving parts to this work, including meeting scheduling, planning trainings, and following up with a large number of organizations and individuals. Historically much of this work has been unsuccessful because of a lack of follow up and accountability. Organization to ensure tasks are completed and the work is done in collaboration and coordination with others will be essential.
- Believe. Believe in the work and make it relevant to people. Believe that change can happen.
- Be nice. Recognize that people are quirky, organizations can be slow to change, and shifting a culture of low civic participation will take time.
- Be humble. Recognize there are a lot of people who want to make this work successful, and your job will be to help individuals and organizations who want to be successful get the tools and resources they need. Recognize the wealth of experience and expertise that already exists, and that it will take all of us together to get this work done.
Other helpful experience:
- Social media engagement, including post writing and graphics. Familiarity with Canva or other design software would be helpful but can be learned.
- Familiarity with voter databases, electoral analysis, and voter registration/GOTV.
- Experience interacting with donors, non-profits, and peers in coalition/network settings.
- Political campaign experience.
- Grassroots organizing.
Application Deadline: Applications will be taken until the position is filled; a diverse reviewing committee will begin reviewing resumes December 1 and will do our best to respond to all candidates who apply. We will start the interview process early December. We hope to have a Director starting no later than January 31, 2022, earlier if possible.
How to apply: Please send a resume and a cover letter to: email@example.com.
Resume should include any relevant paid or non-paid experience, skill sets, and other relevant experience. Cover letter should express why you are interested in this position and tell us about you and your skills and experience not captured by a resume.