Job Title: Conservation Educator
Organization: Wyoming Game and Fish Department
Location: Cheyenne, WY
Position Overview: The Wyoming Game and Fish Department is seeking a Conservation Educator located in Cheyenne, WY. The Conservation Educator will further outreach and education efforts by assisting in the planning and leadership of various summer camps at the Whiskey Mountain Conservation Camp in Dubois, Wyoming. Additionally, the position will assist in planning and executing the educational logistics of the Wyoming Outdoor Expo. The position also may assist in creating lesson plans/teaching resources. It will teach various conservation education programs in the spring and fall, providing the public with information about wildlife, fisheries, habitat management, ecology, hunting, fishing, and other outdoor skills. This contract position begins in mid-February and runs tentatively through the end of September.
Duties: The listed functions are illustrative only and are not intended to describe every function which may be performed at the job level.
- Assisting in the development of lesson plans & activities for events, including the Wyoming Outdoor Expo.
- Planning details and logistics of summer camps under the supervision of the conservation education coordinator.
- Assist the conservation education coordinator in creating educational materials and lesson plans.
- Ability to serve as an on-site coordinator and leader among three temporary, seasonal conservation educators during two weeks of overnight camps for 14-16 year olds and five weeks of overnight Family Camps (participants ages 9 and up).
- Lead training for three temporary, seasonal conservation camp employees.
- Leading safe, engaging, and fun three-day summer camp experiences for participants of all ages.
- Assisting instruction at hunter education courses, field days, and other outdoor education programs.
- Delivering high-quality, engaging educational programming to youth and family groups about wildlife, habitat, and conservation.
- Routine clean-up and setup of program areas; maintenance and organization of education equipment/materials.
- Basic survey analysis & report preparation.
- Must be able to work well independently with minimal supervision and work well with others on a team and serve as a peer leader.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work with all ages and backgrounds.
- Must have the ability to work outdoors in varied terrain and weather conditions and be comfortable pulling trailers and operating 4WD vehicles.
- Ability to maintain composure and delegate during continuously changing work conditions.
- Must be able to responsibly maintain direct supervision of groups of up to 30 youth and/or adults while involved with activities such as fishing, archery, air rifle, navigation, science investigations, backcountry hikes, and team builders.
- Knowledge of Wyoming ecology and wildlife, in addition to experience with other outdoor recreation skills.
- Must have excellent communication skills, strong organizational and leadership skills, enthusiasm, flexibility, and a passion for working with students.
- Must demonstrate teaching skills and the ability to implement creative “hands-on” teaching methods, as well as the ability to create new educational content.
- Requires flexible schedule, including travel and long days, working evenings, and weekends.
- Position requires statewide travel, including up to 9 weeks at the Whiskey Mountain Conservation Camp in Dubois, WY, during June, July & early August, with some time off between camps.
- Position requires CPR certification & background checks (provided by WGFD).
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Preference will be given to those with a bachelor’s degree in education, wildlife/fisheries biology, natural resources, ecology, or related field.
- Preference will be given to those who have experience safely supervising students in an outdoor education environment.
- Preference will be given to those with wilderness first aid or wilderness first responder certifications.
Salary/pay: $19.59 per hour
How to apply: Please click here to view the full job description as well as how to apply.