Wind River Reservation, Riverton, Lander, or nearby areas, WY
Job Title: Tribal Advocacy Associate
Organization: Wyoming Outdoor Council
Location: Wind River Reservation, Riverton, Lander, or nearby areas, WY
The Wyoming Outdoor Council is Wyoming’s oldest independent conservation organization. Founded in 1967, we are a member-based advocacy group. We use scientific, legal, and policy expertise to advocate the protection of public lands, wildlife, and clean air and water. We provide support and resources to empower citizens to do the same. We bring people and groups together to find workable solutions to tough conservation problems. For more information, go to http://www.wyomingoutdoorcouncil.org and http://www.reddesert.org.
Position Description: This part-time position is eligible to participate in a retirement plan after 1000 hours of work in a year. Job title and scope of responsibilities may change depending upon experience. We are committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of our work.
The Wyoming Outdoor Council believes we have an obligation to support and mentor future conservation leaders. This position will offer valuable, real-world experience in tribal advocacy work related to the Red Desert and training in the day-to-day work of a conservation nonprofit organization and coalition building. You will help further goals related to Indigenous coalition building and support the Outdoor Council’s mission in coordination with the Citizens for the Red Desert. The ideal candidate will bring new perspectives and skill sets. You will also help us grow our network of members and informed citizens and represent important perspectives related to conservation and Wyoming lands.
- Support conservation efforts in the Red Desert through:
- Leading tribal tours
- Campaign promotion through social media
- Setting up tribal activities related to the Red Desert
- Outreach, email and communication in meetings, Zooms, emails, and teleconferences.
- Learn and communicate detailed information related to Traditional Ecological Knowledge (TEK) to a variety of audiences, including the general public, decision makers, and partner groups.
- Work as a team player with a broad conservation team including the Tribal Advocacy Coordinator, Red Desert team, other Wyoming Outdoor Council staff, and the broader conservation community.
- Prefer A.S. Degree, or equivalent experience in traditional knowledge or natural science, or environmental science.
- Able to hike long distances and present TEK on tours.
- Eager to learn TEK and present the knowledge on tours.
- Able to safely guide people through desert terrain and ability to execute safety procedures if needed.
- Demonstrated community, professional, or academic leadership.
- Proven team member who works well in collaboration with others.
- Willing to travel within Wyoming, especially the Red Desert, and meet a wide array of people. Mentorship and Support Offered As part of this position, we will offer mentorship and training to ensure a comprehensive understanding of the work of a conservation advocacy group and more specifically, a comprehensive understanding of the Outdoor Council.
- Mentorship from the Tribal Advocacy Coordinator, who will give considerable support and direction;
- An introduction to all staff and an overview of our teams;
- Invitation to join staff, program, and board meetings;
- A detailed review of our current issues;
- A gift membership, shirt, and hat;
- An orientation to office protocols, office space, use of equipment, HR paperwork, etc.
- If desired, a featured profile introducing you and your work in our print or electronic newsletter.
How to Apply: To apply, email a letter of interest explaining how your experience and skills make you the right person to join our team. Include a resume and three references (with contact and relationship information) to Misti Haase at email@example.com (please put “Tribal Advocacy Assistant” in the subject).
For any questions about the position, please contact Yufna Soldier Wolf at firstname.lastname@example.org.