Job Title: Executive Director
Organization: Kansas Land Trust
Organization Overview: The Kansas Land Trust is a nationally accredited non-profit land conservation organization founded in 1990. The Executive Director reports to a five-member Executive Committee to support a 10-to-15- member board of directors. The Executive Director currently supervises two part time staff members and oversees an active volunteer stewardship program. KLT has nearly 40,000 acres in 77 conservation easements in Kansas and Missouri and is funded through member donors, cooperative agreements, grants and fundraising events.
- To continue and improve our growing and sustainable fundraising program.
- To manage the day-to-day business and administrative operations of the organization so the organization succeeds in its mission.
- To foster and maintain a clear vision of the organization which is shared by the board, staff, volunteers and supporters. Position Summary: The Executive Director works under the guidance of, and cooperatively with, the Executive Committee and with members of the Board of Directors and its committees. The Executive Director facilitates and implements programs and procedures that enable KLT to accomplish its mission.
These programs include:
- Organizational capacity to successfully accomplish organizational goals.
- Fundraising and membership building to meet current and future objectives.
- Permanent legal protection and stewardship of land conservation easements.
- Public outreach and education highlighting KLT’s programs and goals.
- Effective partnerships with conservation organizations and related state and federal agencies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Development and Fundraising
- Ability to set and evaluate annual fund development.
- Develop and maintain positive relations with members, donors, foundations and public agencies.
- Creatively seek opportunities to raise funds from a diversity of sources in support of KLT’s mission.
- Promote and expand membership base.
- Cultivate and articulate shared understanding and clear vision of KLT’s mission.
- Collaborate and partner with Board, staff, volunteers, members and others to further the organization’s mission.
- Promote effective communication and working relationships among Board members, committees, volunteers, and staff.
- Guide Board and staff in strategic planning and decision making, work plans, and personnel development.
Land Protection and Stewardship
- Oversee initiation, development and implementation of conservation easements.
- Ensure thorough execution of due diligence necessary to complete land protection projects.
- Implement Board-approved land protection and stewardship programs.
- Develop effective team advancing land protection and stewardship.
- Develop and maintain constructive relationships with landowners.
- Ensure compliance with Land Trust Alliance standards and practices.
- Ensure the necessary staff, systems, reports, and procedures for legal support, record keeping, budgeting, and financial reporting.
Community Building and External Relations
- Promote awareness and support for KLT’s mission.
- Act as the primary spokesperson for KLT and develop cohesion among Board, members, volunteers and staff that promotes positive and consistent public messages in support of mission.
- Foster partnerships within the land trust community and public and private organizations.
Application Deadline: February 28
How to Apply: Please submit a resume, references with contact information, and a letter of interest to: Kansas Land Trust, Attn: Executive Director Search Committee, 16 East 13th Street, Lawrence, KS 66044, or email to KLTEDApplication@klt.org. In lieu of phone calls or personal visits, please email any questions to the above. The selection committee may reopen the position if no suitable candidate is identified within this time. A position description is attached to this announcement.