Job Title: DefaultVeg Campaigns Fellow
Organization: Better Food Foundation
Organization Overview: The Better Food Foundation is a 501c3 non-profit that promotes dietary changes to build a healthy, equitable, humane, and environmentally sustainable food system. They work to support values-based food choices through policy change, advocacy, resource development, and grantmaking.
Position Overview: One-year Fellowship designed to help a dedicated individual develop foundational skills for a career in sustainable food advocacy. This position is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is passionate about contributing to the shift toward plant-based eating and is seeking to deepen their skills and experience in nonprofit campaigning and communications on this topic. This is a remote position, joining a 100% virtual office. A small amount of travel may be required.
The Fellow is responsible for supporting Better Food Foundation staff in their work, focusing especially on campaign tactics, marketing, and promotion for the national campaign, DefaultVeg, which seeks to shift society toward a plant-based food default. The Fellow will join a close-knit campaigns and communications team and will report directly to Director of Campaigns, Laura Cascada.
- Conduct research on and seek opportunities to promote DefaultVeg to sustainability-minded audiences.
- Assist the Campaigns Director in deploying campaign strategies and tactics to spread the reach of DefaultVeg, both culturally and institutionally.
- Draft and edit promotional text, including blogs, letters to the editor, op-eds, website text, newsletters, and social media posts.
- Collaborate with allied organizations, influencers, and other individuals on public-facing projects to advance a shift toward plant-based eating, particularly BIPOC-led and community-based groups.
- Liaise with the institutional outreach and communications teams to help promote institutional and corporate adoptions of plant-based defaults through the sister Greener By Default program.
- Strong writing and communication skills (we will request samples)
- Attention to detail
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work collaboratively with a team
- Understanding of the environmental impacts of animal agriculture
- Self-motivated, able to work independently and take initiative
- 3+ years of relevant experience (professional, volunteer, or coursework) demonstrating skills and knowledge in nonprofit advocacy; communications; activism; or food, animal, and environmental issues
- Experience with and ability to use technologies for remote collaboration—video conferencing, Google docs, project management software, etc.
- Demonstrated commitment to the mission and values of the organization, including diversity, equity, and inclusion
Salary/Pay: The Fellow will receive $50,000 in compensation for one year of work and will be structured as a contract position.
How to Apply: Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining your interest and background in animal advocacy, sustainability, and/or food justice to email@example.com