near Malta, MT
Job Title: Mammal Ecology Internship
Organization: Smithsonian National Zoo & Conservation Biology
Location: Northeastern Montana (nearest town: Malta, MT)
Position Overview: Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute (SCBI) is offering an internship opportunity working with two studies (mammal occupancy along riparian systems, black-footed ferret reintroduction feasibility assessment). The duties are diverse but will focus on monitoring wildlife populations. This will involve working within a field team to identify mammals across the study area. The duties will include setting up and monitoring camera traps along streams, measuring vegetation metrics at survey sites, and mapping prairie dog towns. In addition, the intern will assist staff and other research fellows to compile spatial data needed for the projects and assist in outreach and education events that convey conservation science to the general public.
Duties: This is a paid internship opportunity wherein the intern will support the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute’s Conservation Ecology Center.
Through this internship, interns will:
• Learn camera-trap survey techniques, and mammal ID
• Discuss SCBI ecology projects and present them to different audiences
• Compile and review ecological data in standard formats
• Coordinate with science team to execute assigned tasks
• Reinforce their leadership skills by learning to delegate tasks within a team
• Organize, in conjunction with a supervisor, weekly activities to achieve primary goals
• Preference will be given to recent graduates.
• A strong interest in understanding mammal distributions and identification
• Strong communication skills
• Ability to cover long distances over rough terrain on foot with heavy field equipment • Ability to engage within a team environment with staff and other interns and volunteers • Must enjoy being outdoors in all weather conditions, and be prepared for long field days and occasional camping during the field season
• Must be able to live and work in a remote setting for long time periods.
• Valid driver’s license and experience in off-road/ATV driving a plus
Start/End Dates: 05/01/2022-10/31/2022
Salary/Pay: $1600/month, the intern will be housed at research center on site at no cost. Interns are responsible for purchase of their own food. Intern will be responsible for all transportation costs to Montana and personal health insurance.
COVID Compliance: Please note that the Smithsonian Institution has a mandate requiring all employees and interns to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 regardless of location or arrangement (e.g., onsite, virtual, remote, etc.), subject to such exceptions as required by law. If selected, you will be required to be vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination during onboarding. Additional information and instructions regarding Smithsonian’s COVID-19 mandate will be provided at the time of selection.
Application Deadline: March 10, review of applications will begin immediately and will remain open until the position is filled.
How to Apply: Please send a cover letter, CV, and email addresses of two references to Johnny Stutzman, email@example.com. Please name the PDF as “YourLastName_Intern2022.pdf”. Please include ‘SCBI_Mammal_Internship_2022’ in email subject.