Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks
Job Title: Summer Research Assistant
Organization: University of Wyoming
Location: Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks
Position Overview: Dr. Hilary Byerly Flint is hiring 1-2 summer research assistants (RAs) to assist with survey data collection in Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. The RA will spend six to eight weeks living in the parks and conducting surveys of park visitors. The RA will gain experience collecting survey data, contribute towards a research project on transboundary wildlife conservation, and enjoy access to the sights and activities of two stunning national parks.
- Conduct public intercept surveys of park visitors at various locations within Grand Teton and Yellowstone National Parks. This will require approaching visitors and asking them to participate in a brief survey.
- Collect data on interactions with potential participants and survey responses
- Provide weekly progress reports to project manager
- Excellent communication skills, both with survey participants and project manager
- Reliable and responsible; able to work unsupervised and follow specific research
- Able to spend 6-8 weeks living in rustic cabins, possibly some tent camping
- Good physical condition; able to spend multiple consecutive hours standing/walking and
- in various weather conditions
- Valid driver’s license
- Ideal candidates for this position will possess outstanding communication skills, be well- organized, self-directed and disciplined, and enjoy spending time outside. Candidates should be comfortable approaching strangers and asking them to participate in research. Candidates should be able to work independently while also following strict procedures and documenting activities.
- Preference will be given to applicants with interest or experience in human dimensions of natural resources, conservation social science, and survey data collection.
- Housing will be provided, likely at the University of Wyoming National Park Service Research Center at the AMK Ranch along Jackson Lake. Occasional tent camping may be required.
Start/End Dates: Approximately 40hrs/week for 6-8 weeks between late May – early September
Salary/Pay: $2,000/month stipend + lodging and mileage
Application Deadline: March 23
How to Apply: Send the following materials as one PDF document to Dr. Hilary Byerly Flint at email@example.com with the subject “Last Name_Summer RA”. This packet should include:
(1) Cover letter that describes your interest in and qualifications for the position (2) Resume or CV including GPA and contact information for two references; and (3) Unofficial copy of transcript