Job Title: Trail Builder (Seasonal full time)
Organization: Sheridan Community Land Trust
Location: Sheridan, WY
- Create the final layout for new trails within secured corridors. Construct non-motorized, natural surface, single-track styled trails using a CAT 301.5 mini excavator and finish equipment. Secure essential materials ahead of their use, this includes identifying to SCLT marketing staff any needed trail signage.
- Installing trail signage.
- Coordinate with the Trail Program Manager (TPM) when additional trail staff is needed to finish new trails.
- Assist the TPM and other trail staff in trail maintenance.
- Capture photos / videos and / or social media updates on your trail projects and share with SCLT marketing staff.
- Coordinate with TPM any trail closures.
- Help monitor trail conditions both on the ground and through our Trail Conditions Facebook page, inventory maintenance needs, and assist in budgeting/project planning for upcoming year.
- Act as an ambassador raising awareness and additional support. Educate public of programs and encourage responsible facility use.
- Assist in providing tours for funding and permitting entities.
- Perform other recreation-related miscellaneous tasks as needed.
- Ability to prioritize safety, understand dangerous situations and mitigations.
- Ability to hike to, from, and remain in remote job site locations over uneven terrain 1-3 miles per day.
- Ability to transport tools, supplies and fuels to and from remote job site locations.
- Ability to perform routine daily inspections and maintenance of machinery.
- Experience using mini excavator to build new, non-motorized trails.
- Experience in trail design and layout.
- Experience with other trail tools and equipment for finish work and maintenance purposes. Ability to safely operate and maintain chainsaws.
- Specific Knowledge of mountain biking, hiking, trail running, and equestrian sports is a plus.
- Ability to perform work independently/unsupervised following written and oral direction involving multiple task assignments.
- Ability to work effectively with others; to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Possess a vehicle capable of hauling materials/equipment/small utility trailer.
Start/End Dates: May/October
How to Apply: Email a letter of interest, resume, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use subject line: “Trail Builder Application”. Applications are only accepted electronically. No calls please. The position is open until filled. SCLT is an equal opportunity employer. Please click here for the full details on the position.