Job Title: Wildlife Policy and Outreach Intern
Organization: Wyoming Outdoor Council
Location: Lander, WY
Duties: As the wildlife policy and outreach intern, you have a strong interest in furthering the Outdoor Council’s mission and vision through advocating for strong, community-grounded conservation solutions for Wyoming’s big game herds. Working closely and collaboratively with the program director, you’ll be responsible for organizing outreach events in western Wyoming communities; engaging with relevant agency and legislative processes; contacting and meeting with interested citizens; and working with the communications team to develop digital and print media materials focused on big game migration.
- Plan and execute two in-person outreach events focused on big game migration in western Wyoming communities, including identifying venues, inviting speakers, working with local advocates to plan event content, and organizing and executing logistics.
- Work closely with the program director to develop talking points to share with the public and other audiences about the value of Wyoming migration corridors and key opportunities to conserve these habitats.
- Attend and help document relevant and timely legislative and agency meetings as directed by the program director, including the July meeting of the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission; this may include the opportunity to give testimony.
- Work with our communications team to produce educational, engaging, and interactive content for the Outdoor Council’s social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube as well as any timely print communications.
- Contact and meet with citizen advocates interested in migration policy to learn about their needs, co-develop strategy, and support public communications efforts, including letters to the editor and other advocacy messaging approaches.
- Represent the organization at public events as identified by the program director.
- Participate in bi-monthly staff meetings and other meetings as scheduled.
- You are passionate about Wyoming wildlife and communities, a creative thinker who loves interacting with people. You are interested in the intersections that exist between science, policy, and communication. You have personal and/or academic experience understanding Wyoming’s landscapes and big game herds. You are a strong communicator both verbally and in writing, and you listen attentively and with curiosity when meeting with people from all walks of life.
- You have comfort using personal computers and basic office software (familiarity with Google Docs is a plus). You also are well-versed in social media including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and YouTube. You aren’t afraid to learn new skills or ask questions.
- You love Wyoming, especially its outdoors, and are interested in the Wyoming Outdoor Council’s mission and values.
Start/End Dates: 8 weeks, start date in June (timing negotiable)
Application Deadline: May 1
How to Apply: Email a letter of interest explaining how your experience and skills make you the right person to join the team. Include a resume and three references (with contact and relationship information) to Misti Haase at firstname.lastname@example.org (please put “Wildlife Policy and Outreach Internship” in the subject).
For more information, please see the full position listing.