Fort Collins, CO
Position Title: Research Economist
Organization: Geological Survey Fort Collins Science Center
Location: Fort Collins, CO
Overview: Specialized Experience for this position is defined as experience in applying economics theory and methods in the context of natural resource management and conducting research to aid in the conservation and management of public lands and waters. This includes: assessment of research needs; proposal development; research design; collecting data to measure market or nonmarket economic values or impacts associated with natural resource and public lands management and policy. Specific specialized experience is required for each of the GS12, GS13, and GS14 levels and is listed on the announcement.
- Analytical skills: Ability to design data collection and apply statistical analysis techniques to conduct economics investigations
- Economics theory and approaches: Demonstrated skill in applying economics theory and approaches to address complex natural resource management issues
- Interdisciplinary teams: Demonstrated skill in working on interdisciplinary science teams to address complex natural resource management issues
- Breadth of research: Develop new techniques and approaches in order to extend currently accepted information and introduce new directions for future research
- Communication: Transfer results to resource managers, field scientists, the scientific community, and the public via published papers in the scientific literature, management-oriented technical media, presentations at meetings and workshops, consultations, publications in popular literature, and the internet
- Develop proposals: Act as a principal investigator individually or in collaboration with other scientists to secure funding for original social science research.
- Applicants must be U.S. Citizens.
- Suitable for Federal employment, as determined by background investigation.
- Selectee may be subject to serving a one-year probationary period.
- More requirements are listed under Qualifications and Other Information.
- Selectee must provide a valid state driver’s license & safe driving record.
- Degree: Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor’s or higher degree in economics that included at least 21 semester hours in economics and 3 semesters hours in statistics, accounting, or calculus.
- Combination of education and experience-course work as shown in “A” above, plus appropriate experience and/or additional education for a total of 4 years. The education or combined education and experience must be comparable in type, scope and thoroughness to that acquired through successful completion of a 4-year course of study as described in “A” above.
How to Apply: Please use the online application to view the full job description as well as how to apply.