Position Title: Natural Resources Specialist
Organization: City of Shoreview
Location: Shoreview, MN
Position Overview: The City of Shoreview is now hiring a full-time Natural Resources Specialist in the Public Works Department. This position will work to preserve the natural environment, and encourage policies and practices that will protect Shoreview’s natural resources into the future. The primary responsibilities include assisting the Natural Resources Coordinator in administering the City’s environmental programs such as erosion control review and inspections, NPDES Phase II/MS4 requirements, forestry, recycling, sustainability, and others.
- Effectively communicate the city’s rules and requirements to residents, businesses, and contractors on a broad range of natural resources topics.
- Review building and grading permit applications and calculate appropriate fees and escrows based on the proposed project.
- Inspect residential and commercial sites for compliance with city code and erosion and sediment control Best Management Practices (BMPs). Track and release escrows.
- Engage with the public, contractors, and developers and provide grading and erosion control information and enforce erosion control requirements.
- Document inspection activities and maintain permit database. Notify owners, contractors, and developers of non-compliance issues.
- Assist with the requirements of the city’s NPDES program and ongoing stormwater pond inventory and inspection program.
Assist with developing and implementing environmental programs and practices including researching city practices, MN GreenStep program reporting, environmental best practices, etc.
Help administer the city’s shade tree management ordinance, including inspections and enforcement on public and private property (removals, treatments, plantings, etc.).
Assist with additional forestry programs such as the tree sale and summer intern program.
Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental studies, environmental science, biology, forestry management, urban forestry, or related field.
- 1-year experience in developing and implementing environmental programs and practices.
- MN Tree Inspector’s Certificate within 6-months of hire.
- Valid driver’s license and satisfactory motor vehicle report.
- Additional experience in environmental programs and policies.
- Experience in urban forestry/tree nursery management practices.
- Experience with erosion control practices.
- Experience with MS4/NPDES permitting and stormwater management.
Salary/Pay: $27.70 – $33.69 per hour DOQ, plus excellent benefits
Application Deadline: January 23, 1:00 p.m. CST
How to Apply: Please use the online application to view the full job description as well as how to apply.