Position Title: Forestry technician (timber marking)
Organization: Clearwater Forest Analytics, LLC
Location: Custer, SD
Organization Overview: Clearwater Forest Analytics is a forestry consulting firm based in Rapid City, SD.
Position Overview: Marking trees in a timber sale
Project involves marking a 1795 acre timber sale on the Hell Canyon District of Black Hills National Forest. Forest is predominantly open-understory ponderosa pine. Multiple prescriptions will be implemented on this sale, including commercial thins, seed cuts, pine encroachment, and others.
The successful applicant will walk the sale area and mark trees to be left using a backpack sprayer, according to the prescriptions.
Housing: Provided at a location 8 miles west of Custer.
- Excellent physical conditioning is required. Applicant will be on their feet for 10+ hrs a day carrying a heavy backpack sprayer. Markers may walk >15 miles a day.
- Prior forestry/natural resource experience required.
- Strong attention to detail and ability to learn from criticism is required.
- Successful applicant must be able to work in cold weather (between 10-60 degrees F)
- Successful applicant must tolerate paint sprayback. Most markers throw away their work clothes at the conclusion of a project because they become saturated in marking paint.
- Prior experience marking timber sales is preferred.
- Experience using GPS or cell phone apps such as Avenza is preferred.
Start/End Dates: January 30 – March 31
Salary/Pay: $25-40/hr, commensurate on experience
Application Deadline: January 30. Hiring will begin immediately. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
How to Apply:
Send resume and information for two professional references to firstname.lastname@example.org, with a subject line of “SD timber marking application”.