Position Title: Outdoor Program Instructor
Organization: Frost Valley YMCA
Location: Claryville, NY
Organization Overview: Frost Valley YMCA is located in the heart of the Catskill Mountains in New York State. Each Year we serve over 20,000 people, primarily from the greater NYC, Long Island, and northern New Jersey region, through our Environmental Education and Groups and Family Retreats Departments. We provide exciting outdoor learning opportunities to very diverse audiences, many of whom might not otherwise have the opportunity to access these experiences!
Position Overview: Program Instructors are responsible for the preparation and delivery of programs offered through the Environmental Education, Team building, and Group and Family Retreats programs which include but are not limited to hikes, ecology lessons, team building, adventure and recreation education, and facilitating high and low rope elements. Each program staff member must be able to effectively communicate and interact with students and guests of all ages. Persons of color are encouraged to apply.
Duties: A hands-on, field position that directly involves teaching and leading groups of students in outdoor, environmental, recreational and challenge course activities. Instructors should expect long yet extremely rewarding days that may include weekends and/or evenings for night hikes and special programs. Instructors will have two days off for every five days worked. Instructors will work with schools and groups throughout the year.
- Previous experience working with children
- A passion and understanding of the outdoors
- Commitment to working with guests from diverse backgrounds
- Effective leadership, teaching, facilitation and communication skills
- Firm commitment to guest service
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Environmental Studies, Outdoor Recreation, related fields a plus OR equivalent life experience
- Hold current First Aid/CPR certifications, or ability to obtain upon hire
Work Environment & Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Employees may be required to lift/move up to 35 pounds.
Start/End Dates: Spring Season (Mid March to June 16) Fall Season (end of August to end of November) Full Year (end of August through June 2024)
How to Apply: Send application/resume to Human Resources: email@example.com or call (845) 985-2291 extension 258.