Centennial Valley, MT
Position Title: Field Technician
Organization: Centennial Valley Association
Location: Centennial Valley, MT
Organization Overview: CVA is a locally based, landowner-driven nonprofit organization whose mission is to preserve traditional ranching as a way of life in the Centennial Valley and to maintain quality open space, wildlife habitat, water quality, and wildlife migration corridors as they exist today for future generations. CVA unites local ranchers, community members, agencies, NGOs, and other groups to collaborate on local conservation issues. CVA fosters a range of initiatives that include invasive weed management, maintaining and monitoring migration corridors, drought awareness, and outreach and education opportunities for the community and visitors.
Position Overview: The Centennial Valley Association (CVA) is seeking one dedicated individual to join our Team as a Field Technician in 2023. This is a seasonal position that may require odd hours, including nights, weekends, and work weeks >40 hours. The Field Technician is responsible for participating in and supporting various field projects that serve the Centennial Valley community, landscape, and partner organizations, including:
- Early Detection, Rapid Response Invasive Weed Management
- Native Plant Revegetation
- Hydrology Monitoring
- Field Data Collection
- Education and Outreach
- Effectively communicating with partners and stakeholders, supervisory staff, and Team Members.
- Treating invasive weed infestations via chemical and mechanical techniques, monitoring and mapping infestations, and participating in community spray days and weeks.
- Assisting with native plant revegetation for rangeland and wildlife habitat.
- Collecting, entering, and analyzing field data for freshwater and adaptive management programs into spreadsheets, databases, and/or ArcGIS.
- Taking streamflow, staff gage, and rain gauge measurements.
- Providing community and partner outreach via phone calls, emails, and other methods.
- General vehicle and equipment maintenance.
- Representing the organization at community and partner events/meetings to provide support where needed.
- High school diploma and >1 year’s training or applicable job experience.
- Ability to hike five or more miles per day, lift 50lbs, and work in sometimes adverse outdoor conditions.
- Willingness to work with and learn from people with different backgrounds.
- Willing and able to take direction from CVA supervisory staff, partners, and community members.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Publisher, Excel, Access).
- Ability to spend multiple nights away at field sites.
- Must have a current state-issued driver’s license.
- Self-motivated, flexible, and safety-oriented.
- Bachelor’s degree/working towards bachelor’s degree and/or > 3 years related job experience in Natural Resources Management, Biology, Range Science, Agriculture, or related field.
- Experience working and/or living in a rural, remote landscape with small, local communities.
- Experience working in grizzly bear territory.
- Experience operating a full size, 4WD pickup truck and ATV/UTV. Note: A required ATV/UTV training is provided.
- Experience with herbicide applications, streamflow monitoring/comfortable in moving water, and/or experience with GPS and ArcGIS applications.
- Experience using a dichotomous key for plant and animal identification.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team in a small organization where your co-workers are possibly your roommates in a bunkhouse setting.
- Developed data collection, entry, and analysis skills.
- Strong communication, organization, and problem-solving skills.
- Familiarity with basic vehicle and equipment maintenance.
- Verizon cell phone service (this is the only carrier that works in the Centennial Valley).
Start/End Dates: May 22- October 27
Salary/Pay: $17.00/hour, free housing, vehicle use, and field equipment.
Application Deadline: Open until filled
How to Apply: Please use the online flyer to view the full job description as well as how to apply.