Position Title: Biological Field Technician
Organization: Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc.
Location: Casper, WY
Organization Overview: Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic environmental and statistical consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada, is looking for a temporary, part-time, Biological Field Technician. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, the WEST team has shaped the foundation of what they do, and what they believe in through their core values and key principles. Their work matters to their clients, communities, and the environment. Join WEST and discover a company of passionate, committed, and highly motivated individuals.
- Avian surveys for song birds, hawks, and eagles.
- This job includes conducting field work in a remote location.
- Additional tasks may include raptor nest surveys, acoustic bat data collection, and post-construction monitoring at nearby wind facilities
- The job will consist of up to 8-12 hour days, 30-40 hours per week.
- Field conditions will include a range of extreme high and low temperatures and varying high wind speeds.
- Candidate must be comfortable with hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, driving a four-wheel drive vehicle, dust, extreme heat and cold). Job duties require navigation in a remote area using a compass, GPS, and and/or mobile applications. ATV or UTV experience is a plus.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, Natural Resources or an equivalent degree preferred, enthusiastic applicants with relevant field experience also considered.
- Candidates must be capable of identifying birds in the region, by sight and sound, recording data correctly, following study and safety protocols, keeping on schedule, and trouble-shooting problems in the field.
- Previous volunteer or work experience conducting avian surveys is highly preferred.
- Candidates should be able to interact positively and professionally with project manager, field lead, landowners, and other technicians.
- Employee must be able to appear for work on time (surveys often begin as early as sunrise), maintain focus for long periods of time, follow instructions from the team leader, maintain positive attitude, and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Consistent communication with the team is imperative.
- Environmental conditions include working in rain, wind, mud, and very cold or hot temperatures.
- Candidates may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife.
- Proficient use of topographic maps, compass, tablets, and other field equipment required.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
Start/End Dates: May 1- April 2024 with extension possible
Salary/Pay: $18-$23/ hour, Depends on experience. $500 monthly housing reimbursement
How to Apply: Please use the online application to view the full job description as well as how to apply.