Position Title: Community Engagement Specialist
Organization: Environmental Data Science Innovation & Inclusion Lab in the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences at CU Boulder
Location: Boulder, CO
Organization Overview: CIRES is an internationally recognized leader in innovative environmental science and research and is located at the University of Colorado Boulder. At CIRES, more than 800 environmental science professionals work to understand the dynamic Earth system, including people’s relationship with the planet. CIRES has partnered with NOAA since 1967, and their areas of expertise include weather and climate, changes at Earth’s poles, air quality and atmospheric chemistry, water resources, solid Earth sciences, and more. Their vision is to be instrumental in ensuring a sustainable future environment by advancing scientific and societal understanding of the Earth system.
ESIIL is a next-generation NSF synthesis center led by the University of Colorado Boulder in collaboration with NSF’s CyVerse at the University of Arizona and the University of Oslo. ESIIL enables a global community of environmental data scientists to maximize the wealth of environmental data and emerging analytics to develop science-based solutions to solve pressing challenges in biology and other environmental sciences. ESIIL holds inclusion as a core principle and method for diversifying environmental data science at a time when society needs all perspectives, and science needs to serve all. ESIIL’s research community generates discoveries and novel approaches through:
- Groundbreaking team science
- Innovative tools and collaborative cyberinfrastructure
- Data science education and training
- Building inclusive participation and diverse groups.
Position Overview: Environmental Data Science Innovation & Inclusion Lab (ESIIL), within the Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences (CIRES) at CU Boulder, encourages applications for a Community Engagement Specialist. This role will advance ESIIL’s goals of engaging and empowering a diverse environmental data science community by supporting communication and collaboration throughout its network. This position will work to engage a variety of partners through ESIIL’s initiatives, as well as nurture and maintain relationships among them. They will develop resources to support the needs of the network’s members and facilitate collaboration and coordination of efforts, providing feedback to ESIIL’s leadership. They will help to generate materials for outreach and evaluate the success of ESIIL’s engagement and outreach activities.
- Serve as the main liaison with ESIIL’s external partners, keep the community informed of, and help recruit participants for ESIIL activities.
- Help the ESIIL leadership team plan for and implement major ESIIL activities (e.g., Summits, Hackathons, working group meetings).
- Develop, maintain and map relationships across the community.
- Support communication among and across groups.
- Form collaborations among the network to ensure groups are engaging appropriately with different partners.
- Track ESIIL network participants using software that hosts participant profiles.
- Connect community members with sources of information or expertise within the network.
- Infuse ESIIL’s diversity, equity, and inclusion goals and approaches to their partner engagement
- Guide development of community resources including standard methodologies, with a specific focus on inclusivity.
Work with the ESIIL evaluation team to:
- Determine whether community activities are achieving objectives and target metrics.
- Channel feedback from the community to appropriate teams and individuals, and make recommendations based on findings.
- Communicate the outlook of community engagement and development to the leadership team.
Outreach and Communication
- Identify outreach opportunities for ESIIL (e.g., upcoming conferences).
- Help generate content for outreach materials (e.g., PowerPoint’s, handouts, posters).
- Staff in-person outreach events, such as conference exhibits and presentations.
- Develop content for and update ESIIL website as needed.
- Manage ESIIL social media to promote awareness and interest.
- Bachelor’s degree in environmental science, ecology, geography, or related field.
- At least 1 year of experience in outreach and engagement.
- Demonstrated dedication to equity and inclusion.
- Collaboration skills and the ability to empower large teams.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Organization skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and meet timelines.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative, dynamic team.
- Critical thinking and approaches within a university setting.
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Outlook calendar software, Zoom, and Google Suite (docs, sheets, drive).
- A relevant Master’s degree.
- Experience working with traditionally underserved/underrepresented communities in STEM.
- Reporting and project management experience.
- Tech savvy including proficiency with collaborative team software products or interest to learn (e.g., Asana, Trello, Zoom, Slack, Mentimeter, or others).
- Experience with web software programs (e.g., Drupal, WordPress) is a plus.
Application Deadline: Open until filled. Applications received by May 2 will receive full consideration
How to Apply: Please use the online application to view the full job description as well as how to apply.