Position Title: Wyoming Easement Program Manager
Organization: The Nature Conservancy
Location: Lander, WY
Organization Overview: The Nature Conservancy’s (TNC) mission is to protect the lands and waters upon which all life depends. As a science-based organization, TNC creates innovative, on-the-ground solutions to the world’s toughest challenges so that they can create a world in which people and nature thrive. TNC is rooted in their Mission and guided by their Values, which includes a Commitment to Diversity and Respect for People, Communities, and Cultures. TNC’s goal is to cultivate an inclusive work environment so that all their colleagues around the globe feel a sense of belonging, and that their unique contributions to their mission are valued.
Position Overview:The WY Easement Program Manager provides technical leadership and support to the Wyoming business unit and plans, manages, and directs the conservation easement stewardship program for the Wyoming business unit. The Easement Program Manager addresses critical threats to natural systems and individual species by helping to ensure conservation easement compliance. The Easement Program Manager develops and implements conservation easement and fee property monitoring and legal enforcement protocols and may help to employ a full range of protection tools to acquire varying degrees of legal interest in land and implement a variety of strategies to secure public and private support for TNC conservation priorities. The Easement Program Manager monitors conservation easements across the state of Wyoming, through on the ground visits and use of aerial imagery, and coordinates other staff members in doing the same. May work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances. Requires frequent travel throughout the state of Wyoming during the summer and fall to monitor easements.
- Organize, oversee and track annual conservation easement and fee property monitoring program, train staff to utilize mobile monitoring apps and online remote monitoring programs.
- Conduct annual monitoring visits on conservation easements to ensure properties are being used in accordance with the terms of the conservation easements.
- Assess the ecological impact of landowner actions on conversation values of properties subject to conservation easements.
- Ensure program compliance with internal policies and external requirements.
- Work closely with team members to respond to requests for approvals or resolve any conservation easement violations.
- Under minimal supervision, make independent decisions based on analysis, experience and context.
- May provide support on land protection transactions, property dispositions, or easement transactions, property dispositions, or easement transfers as time permits.
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 years’ experience in natural resource management, range management, ecology or similar field or equivalent combination of education and experience.\
- Experience managing staff or volunteers.
- Relationship building experience to work closely with a variety of partners, i.e., landowners, ranch managers, government officials, internal scientists.
- Experience completing tasks independently with respect to timeline(s).
- Experience with communication via written, spoken and graphical means in English and other relevant languages.
- Experience using common software applications such as Word, Excel, web browsers, etc.
- Experience in training.
- 3 – 5 years’ experience in natural resource management, range management, ecology, similar field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to apply science to decision-making and assessing activities.
- Familiarity with conservation easements and principles of land acquisition.
- Knowledge of ecological land management principles.
- Knowledge of and experience with Wyoming ecosystems and habitats.
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in conservation, land management and natural resource preservation.
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated.
Start/End Dates: Full time
Salary/Pay: $46,800 – $57,500 annually, depending on experience. See full benefits on TNC’s job announcement.
How to Apply: Submit materials online by using the Apply Now button at TNC’s career portal.