Fort Collins, Colorado; Cheyenne, Wyoming
Position Title: Biological Field Technician
Organization: Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc.
Location: Fort Collins, CO; Cheyenne, WY
Organization Overview: Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States and Canada, is looking for a temporary, full-time Biological Field Technician with exceptional biological survey experience for a project in Wyoming. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data. Since its founding in 1990, their team has shaped the foundation of WEST, and what is believed in through core values and key principles. WEST’s work matters to clients, communities, and the environment.
This position entails conducting post construction surveys at operational windfarms for bird and bat fatalities. There is potential for the right candidate to assist with other wildlife studies including avian use, nest monitoring and sensitive species surveys.
- Standardized fatality searches.
- Standardized protocols to measure sources of bias in fatality surveys.
- Potential opportunities to conduct additional biological surveys.
- Work comfortably in a remote field setting.
- Interact professionally and respectfully with project managers, biologists, technicians, clients, and landowners.
- Work well both independently and with others
- Follow field and data collection protocols.
- Walk/stand for most of the workday in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Work an average of 20 hours/week, though there may be weeks requiring shorter or longer hours, depending on the project and seasonal workloads.
- Travel to and from work sites safely; a work vehicle or mileage reimbursement will be provided.
- Be punctual and reliable, while keeping flexible work hours.
- Candidates must be equipped with and provide their own suitable safety-toed footwear (steel or composite-toe), quality binoculars, appropriate field clothing, water bottles, etc. Other required PPE will be provided.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, Wildlife Biology, or an equivalent degree preferred, though undergraduates or other enthusiastic workers are encouraged to apply.
- A valid driver’s license
- Candidates with field experience at wind projects will be given preference.
- Use of computers, GPS units, topographic maps, compass, and other field equipment is expected.
- Experience with electronic data collection is preferred, but not required.
Candidates must be organized, and able to collect and manage data, including implementing quality control measures.
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre-employment background check, drug screening, and DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company.
Start/End Dates: May 2023 – April 2025
Salary/Pay: $18.00 – $20.00/hour
Application Deadline: June 1
How to Apply: Please use the online application to view the full job description as well as how to apply.