Job Title: Soil Technician
Organization: Grouse Mountain Environmental Consultants
Type of opportunity: Grouse Mountain Environmental Consultants (GMEC) is an independently owned and multidisciplinary natural resource consulting firm whose comprehensive blend of disciplines and years of experience allow us to provide solutions to unique and contemporary issues. Our company is seeking multiple Seasonal Soil Technicians with experience in digging soil pits and identifying soil horizons based out of their Buffalo, WY, office. Technicians will be completing rangeland assessments in accordance with the BLM’s Assessment, Inventory, and Monitoring (AIM) protocol. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in soil identification and experience in texturing soils and the ability to identify the correct Ecological Site Description (ESD) for the rangeland site. The position will start in May and continue into early September (dates flexible).
Contact: Please contact Kyle Todd with additional questions regarding this position at 307-684-2112.
- Travel and sample rangeland sites throughout the state of Wyoming.
- Navigate to rangeland sites using a GPS and a 4-wheel vehicle to collect accurate field data using a Microsoft tablet.
- Read maps and use Trimble GPS to find remote locations.
- Read and record line point intercept transects.
- Dig soil pits and identify soil horizons.
- Classify texture and color soils.
- Identify Ecological Site Description (ESD) based on collected vegetation and soil data.
- Experience classifying soil composition and texture.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds on a regular basis.
- Ability to hike difficult terrain in variable weather conditions.
- Skilled in operating UTVs.
- Willingness to travel and camp overnight across Wyoming.
- Previous AIM training a plus, but not required.
Start and end dates: Seasonal
Link to more information: https://grousemtnconsultants.com/careers/
How to apply: Interested candidates should email their resume to Kyle Todd at firstname.lastname@example.org.