Job Title: Intern – Data Visualization/Analytical Storyteller
Organization: Scout Clean Energy
Type of opportunity: This role will support the Asset Management team’s decision-making processes by utilizing real-time data from our 3 operating wind facilities across the United States. The intern will use their quantitative skills and enhance their capabilities with problem definition, data processing, data analysis, and data visualization in this role. The intern will report directly to the Manager of Remote Operations, a six-year Marine Corps veteran.
- Learn the technical platform. The intern will be ready to learn our Asset Management platform/data historian with training from the Manager of Remote Operations. No previous experience with this platform is required.
- Develop reports. The intern will work with the Asset Management and site operations teams to develop automated daily, weekly, end-of-day, and custom reports. The intern will develop an understanding of key decision points, associated metrics, and the relevant data available in order to determine the appropriate content and organization of each report.
- Visualize data. Use site data to create visually appealing, easy-to-follow reports that would allow leaders and adjacent team members to quickly identify performance issues “at a glance”. Awareness of effective data visualization techniques will help the intern develop a thoughtful first draft. The intern will facilitate subsequent iteration with the Manager of Remote Operations and others to refine the tools.
- Assist with preparing a schedule for regulatory reporting. The intern will support the Asset Management team in developing a schedule to adhere to compliance requirements for ISOs, NERC, and CFIUS. This will involve researching regulatory requirements and past filings and organizing key timelines for the Asset Management team.
- The tools will provide lasting impact for the Asset Management team since they will continue to use them in the months and years following the internship.
- We may also provide the intern with the opportunity to cross train on the Operations desk to see how real-time coordination is performed for utility-scale energy production.
- Working towards or recently completed a bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Math, Data Science, Business Administration, Economics, Statistics, or a related field
- Interest in the renewable energy industry, specifically the operation of utility-scale wind farms.
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in delivery and in results.
- Resident of the state of Colorado (for grant-related reasons).
- A working understanding of analytics processes is required; hands-on experience is optional.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office, especially Excel. The successful intern will have experience with using formulas, macros, and pivot tables and will be comfortable with large data sets (e.g., 1 million cells or more).
- Experience as an analytical storyteller, creating charts, graphs, and other data visualization to distill complex information into an easy-to-follow graphic or narrative that is appropriate for multiple levels and types of technical expertise is required.
- Experience with Microsoft Power Bi, Tableau, or Grafana are also preferred.
- Preferred but not required: Experience with databases, SQL, API query, or OSI Soft.
Start and end dates:
- This internship will begin as soon as possible, preferably in early to mid-May 2020.
- We anticipate a 30- to 40-hour-per-week commitment for 10-12 weeks.
- Our ideal candidate will be comfortable working remotely as long as required due to the COVID-19 situation and would also be willing to work at our Boulder office when state guidelines allow it.
Link to more information: http://www.scoutcleanenergy.com
How to apply: Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org .