Position Title: Aquatic Assistant
Organization: City of Laramie
Overview: This position will assist the Aquatics Supervisor in managing the aquatic facility operations, including, but not limited to, overall supervision of the lifeguard team, aquatics life and health safety issues, customer service, maintaining the facility including water chemistry, conducting in-service trainings and coordination and supervision of the aquatics areas that include the indoor/outdoor leisure pools, whirlpool hot tub, 8-lane lap pool, and wading pools.
- Assist the Aquatics Supervisor in supervision and management of the Recreation Division aquatics programs.
- Assist with training of the aquatics staff, planning and conducting in-service training, skill sessions and certification courses.
- Assist with aquatic program planning and implementation, including swim lesson programs and special events.
- Ensure hazards and unsafe practices are addressed and minimized or eliminated.
- Respond appropriately in the event of emergencies
- Respond to and address inquiries, issues and concerns from the public, providing excellent customer service.
- Assist with maintaining aquatic facility cleanliness and light maintenance issues.
- Enforce all rules and regulations of the facility.
(A combination of the following experience and training, or the equivalent of, would be qualifying):
- Current lifeguard certification through American Red Cross.
- CPR for the professional rescuer certification through the American Red Cross.
- One-year experience as a lifeguard.
- Working knowledge of hazards and safety precautions common to swimming activities.
- Thorough knowledge and application of lifeguarding surveillance and rescue techniques.
- An understanding of the pool facility characteristics, policies, and procedures.
- Strong leadership and decision-making skills.
- Understanding and experience in working with the public (children and adults).
- Water Safety Instructor certification or able to obtain within 6 months of hire.
- Lifeguard instructor and CPR for the professional rescuer instructor certification preferred or able to obtain within 6 months of hire.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Ability to sit, stand, swim, walk, kneel, crouch, squat, stoop, reach, crawl, twist, climb, balance, lift 50 lbs., occasionally push or pull 100 lbs., and far and near acuity. Work environment includes exposure to noise, outdoors, confining workspace, chemicals, dust, mechanical and electrical hazards, exposure to blood-borne pathogens, body fluids and tissue, and diseases. Ability to travel to different sites, and ability for evening and weekend work.
Applicants who are offered an appointment are required to pass a comprehensive background investigation, drug screening test and driver license check.
Salary/pay: $11.20 – $12.67 per hour
Application Deadline: Open until filled, first review is April 15
How to Apply: Please click here to apply and to view the full job description