Position Title: Staff Member
Organization Overview: IPES-Food works to shape debates on food system reform through policy-oriented research and direct engagement with policy processes around the world. The panel brings together environmental scientists, development economists, nutritionists, agronomists, and sociologists, as well as experienced practitioners from civil society and social movements. Panel members are based in multiple locations around the world, with a secretariat based in Brussels.
Position Overview: The International Panel of Experts on Sustainable Food Systems (IPES-Food) is looking for a full-time staff member to join its secretariat. Working as part of a small and dynamic team, the new staff member will help to develop and promote the range of reports and projects undertaken by IPES-Food. The ideal candidate is an adaptable all-rounder with a strong background in research and/or project management and good knowledge of global food systems and sustainable development.
Duties: Working with the IPES-Food expert panel and reporting to the Director/Deputy Director of the IPES-Food Secretariat, the candidate would support the range of work undertaken by the panel as it enters a critical phase of activity and amplifies its voice in food and farming debates around the world.
Key responsibilities include:
- Project management & research support. Supporting the development of IPES-Food reports on various global food system topics (devising timelines, contributing to and overseeing research and drafting, liaising with external support staff, working with the Communications Manager to develop comms and outreach strategies).
- Outreach. Forging and managing partnerships, representation at events, advocacy, supporting fundraising activities.
- Events & logistical. Planning internal panel meetings, planning external consultations, workshops, webinars and other events.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a full-time, policy-related role in food, agriculture or a highly relevant sector (e.g. a ‘policy officer’ or ‘project manager’ role with an NGO, a scientific organization or public/international institution);
- Master’s level qualifications in a relevant field (e.g. Political Science, Development Studies, Environmental Science, Food & agriculture-related topics);
- Fluent written and spoken English; proficiency/fluency in other languages is a major plus;
- Good knowledge of food systems issues, sustainable development and global politics.
- An all-rounder with a high degree of adaptability, and excellent prioritization (sometimes taking on new tasks at short notice);
- A good listener with high attention to detail & ability to write and communicate clearly both in relation to everyday tasks, and in representing the organization to external audiences;
- Proven ability to co-develop strategies with colleagues, to work autonomously on delivering them, and to maintain strong working relationships with people/partners from different backgrounds and sectors;
- Strong analytical skills, allowing rapid understanding of political processes and contribution to research processes;
- Fundraising and experience of donor relations is desirable;
- Proficiency with online information-sharing, conferencing and communication tools.
- Competitive salary including 13th month, 25 days vacation and other benefits (meal tickets, transport costs);
- Fixed-term contract (CDD) of 12 months with extension foreseen;
- Short-term travel (2-3 times per year) required for panel meetings and key events;
- Possibility to homework from other locations for up to 1 week per month.
Location: N.B. The position is based in Brussels with the IPES-Food secretariat, but other locations/arrangements could be considered (please state clearly in your cover letter).
How to apply: Candidates must send the following documents to email@example.com (email header: NAME – staff position 2021):
- CV, 2-page maximum.
- Cover letter, 1-page maximum, explaining the candidate’s motivation and qualifications for the job.
- List of references (maximum 3, referees would not be contacted until after the interview phase).
Selected candidates will be invited for virtual interviews the week of May 31.
Application Deadline: By midnight CET on May 24