Sheridan County, WY
Position Title: Resident Camp Counselor
Organization: Sheridan County YMCA
Organization Overview: The mission and core values are brought to life by the Y culture. In the Y, they strive to live their cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. They are welcoming, and are open to all. The Y is a place where you can belong and become. They are genuine: they value you and embrace your individuality. They are hopeful: they believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. The YMCA is nurturing: they support you in your journey to develop your full potential. They are determined: above all else, they are on a relentless quest to make the community stronger beginning with you.
Position Overview: This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. Under the guidance and supervision of the Resident Camp Director, the Resident Camp Counselor is responsible for providing a safe environment for campers and counselors as well as acting as a positive supportive role model.
- Engage with parents during drop-off and pickup in a welcoming manner, exhibiting great customer service
- Work with fellow counselors and the Resident Camp Director to maintain our required ratio of campers to staff; knowing where all campers are at all times.
- Responsible for ensuring the safety of campers at all times throughout the camp week.
- Ability to enthusiastically lead/facilitate and assist camp activities for campers throughout the day.
- Remain active in all camp activities, positively engaging campers to foster a great camp experience.
- Be responsive to campers needs and wherever possible involve group decision making.
- Assist in coaching of CITs and LITs who have volunteered during a week of camp.
- Maintain camper and counselor confidentiality
- Be prepared to work long hours in a potentially stressful outdoor environment.
- Willing to lead/facilitate hands-on outdoor educational sessions including but not limited to backpacking, hiking, rock climbing, canoe and kayaking, mountain biking, etc.
- Live in cabins with campers, providing safe and responsible supervision.
- Maintain a clean, organized, and safe environment throughout all areas of camp, thus fostering a culture of stewardship to campers.
- Learn and adhere to Leave No Trace Principles at all times when utilizing National Forest trails/property.
- At least 18 years of age.
- Alarm/Emergency Procedures training within 30 days of hire and biannually
- CPR, First Aid and Child Abuse Prevention training within 30 days of hire and
- biannually thereafter.
- New Employee Orientation and Listen 1st or other alternative training within 30 days of hire.
How to apply: Please click here to view the full job description and to apply