Position Title: Faculty in Environmental Science and Sustainability
Organization: Johnson and Wales University
Faculty members are responsible for providing students with a rich, relevant and engaging academic experience. The faculty role encompasses teaching, student outcomes assessment, curriculum development, student advising, and university service. Faculty continuously engage in professional development while maintaining current expertise in the applicable content area and developing students through effective and innovative teaching and learning practices.
Essential Job Functions:
- Demonstrates specialized knowledge and maintains expertise in the theory, skills, and pedagogy of the applicable discipline or profession
- Uses strategies and skills necessary to support student learning and prepares and delivers current and relevant course material in an understandable and motivating manner
- Continually assesses course objectives and instructional methods to improve teaching and learning
- Uses formative and summative assessments of student learning within assigned courses to inform instruction and improve student attainment of course objectives and program outcomes
- Establishes a student and advisor relationship that provides guidance with regard to program choices and career possibilities and supports student educational growth through guided decision making
- Supports the university’s outcomes initiatives by working to refine and revise course assignments and evaluation tools and leading or participating in data analysis discussions to make program and course improvements
- Facilitates development and revision of programs and courses, assuring alignment within the program description and outcomes, course objectives and content, as well as university curriculum standards
- Attends commencement, convocation, faculty meetings, department meetings, committee meetings, professional development programs, and other university events, as applicable
- Supports student enrollment and retention by participating in university events, advising student clubs and organizations, and assisting with admissions activities
- Adheres to and fulfills the responsibilities of all faculty members as outlined in the faculty manual
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Earned Ph.D. or equivalent terminal degree in either environmental science, sustainability, or a related field of study from a regionally accredited institution, or other appropriate accreditation as determined by Johnson & Wales University
- Ability to teach a variety of foundational environmental science and sustainability courses and upper-level courses in area of expertise
- Evidence of teaching excellence that employs inclusive pedagogies
- Relevant professional and/or academic experience with interdisciplinary sustainability initiatives
- Ability to develop an undergraduate research program
- Willingness to work collaboratively within and across academic colleges in support of university sustainability initiatives
- Knowledgeable of environmental science topics related to environmental economic justice, responsible business practices, ecological community resilience, sustainable policies (local, national, and global), sustainable development, environmental health analysis and remediation, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Successful candidates must be committed to working effectively with diverse student populations
- Experience in academic program development, particularly in the disciplines of environmental science and/or sustainability
- Professional network of sustainability organizations/professionals with capacity to build multifaceted partnerships (for student internships/employment and collaborative programming)
- Experience teaching environmental science and sustainability courses that connect the environment to global business, politics, social sciences, climate, and emerging technologies and policies
- Record of scholarship and undergraduate research program
- Experience with GIS (Geographic Information Systems)
How to Apply:
To view the full job description as well as how to apply, click here.
A cover letter, c.v./résumé and teaching philosophy must be submitted at time of application.
Letters of reference and academic transcripts are welcome at time of application or may later be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Qualified candidates must live or relocate within a 100 mile radius of the Providence Campus location upon hire.
Embracing diversity for a richly inclusive community is a Guiding Principle at JWU. Our students, faculty and staff have varied backgrounds, experiences and perspectives that unite us as one community and contribute to our success. We are committed to enhancing the diversity of our workforce teams and we encourage individuals from underrepresented groups to apply.
Johnson & Wales University is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other basis prohibited by law.