Position Title: Materials Management/Solid Waste Permitting and Compliance Specialist
Organization: Oregon Department of Environmental Quality
Location: Portland, OR
Position Overview: You will serve as a materials management program permit writer and compliance specialist responsible for permitting and compliance for solid waste disposal facilities. Such facilities include transfer stations, composting facilities, material recovery facilities, recycling facilities, letters of authorization, and waste tire storage sites. You will provide technical assistance on solid waste disposal, management, and recycling requirements; provide information and guidance regarding rules, permit conditions, and technical requirements for the public and regulated community; conduct site visits, inspections, and investigations; verify data submittals from responsible parties; and review and draft new permits, permit modifications, and permit renewals for solid waste disposal facilities. In addition, you will respond to and resolve complaints regarding illegal disposal of solid waste, and determine appropriate compliance and enforcement action.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in physical science, environmental science, natural resources, or a closely related field, AND 3 years of experience in a natural resource or environmental field (an equivalent combination of education and experience is acceptable). At least 1 year of experience at a technical or professional level performing activities in a natural resource program such as researching and analyzing data, conducting investigations, applying pertinent laws and regulations, or coordinating and monitoring project activities.
- Experience reviewing, drafting, modifying, and renewing environmental permits.
- Skill in clear and effective verbal and written communication; ability to clearly and concisely communicate complex technical and policy issues with a variety of people; ability to tailor communication to the individual audiences, including when communicating complex technical information to lay people.
- Skill in writing clear and concise technical and narrative reports that include analyses, recommendations, and conclusions.
- Professional-level presentation acumen.
- Knowledge regarding solid waste disposal, recycling, materials management, prevention, and education programs.
- Experience interpreting and applying rules, regulations, laws, permit conditions, guidance, and procedures.
- Experience conducting site visits, inspections, and investigations, including determining appropriate compliance and enforcement action.
Application Deadline: November 14, review begins October 29
How to apply: Please click here to view the full job description as well as details on how to apply.