Job Title: Habitat Specialist
Organization: Pheasants Forever & Quail Forever
Location: Watertown, SD
Position Overview: This position represents a partnership between South Dakota Game, Fish & Parks (SDGFP) and Pheasants Forever (PF). The incumbents will conduct habitat management work on public wildlife management areas. They are full-time, permanent employee of Pheasants Forever and will receive daily leadership from SDGFP Field Managers.
Duties: The incumbent will assist with all aspects of managing the assigned wildlife management area. Major responsibilities include:
- Directing, and implementing habitat management work on public wildlife areas; operation of farm equipment and prescribed fire experience important
- Procuring supplies and equipment;
- Participating in the construction, maintenance and repair of area buildings, equipment, and roads;
- Coordinating agricultural permits to insure positive benefits for wildlife;
- Providing public information;
- Participating in scientific field studies and surveys;
- Participating in training and evaluation of seasonal employees.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- A basic understanding of environmental, agricultural and/or natural resource science. Education may be substituted for experience as determined relevant by the partners. Preference will be given to candidates that possess a bachelor’s degree with an emphasis in wildlife management; Rx fire experience preferred.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with colleagues and partner agencies;
- Ability to work independently with little supervision;
- Knowledge of wildlife ecology, wetland and grassland management including the ability to utilize various habitat management equipment and tools in the development of wildlife habitat;
- Excellent verbal/written communication and organizational skills;
- Successful applicants must also possess or be able to acquire a South Dakota CDL Operators License and an Herbicide Applicators License.
Training/Experience: Any combination of training and/or experience that will enable the applicant to possess the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. One year of work experience in a wildlife management related job. A general qualification guideline for this position is a Bachelor of Science Degree in Wildlife Management or closely related natural resources field and/or related field experience.
Start Date: July
Salary/Pay: $31,000-35,000 depending on experience and qualifications + benefits.
Application Deadline: June 17
How to Apply: Please combine your cover letter, resume and 3 references into a single Word document or Adobe PDF file before clicking on the blue APPLY icon at the bottom or upper right corner and uploading to the “Resume” area of your application. For a complete list of current job openings, visit the organization’s website.
Pheasants Forever is considered a federal contractor; therefore, we must ensure all employees, regardless of work location or job duties, are fully vaccinated for COVID-19. Upon employment you will be required to provide proof that you are fully vaccinated, proof of a valid medical exemption or legitimate religious objection.
If you have questions, contact: Matt Morlock, ND/SD State Coordinator for PF, 605-881-8258