Laramie or Cheyenne, WY
Job Title: Organizing Director
Organization: Better Wyoming
Location: Laramie or Cheyenne, WY
Organization Overview: Better Wyoming began in 2017 as a scrappy, two-person advocacy team duking it out at the state legislature over issues like tax reform, cannabis policy, LGBTQ equality, and public education funding.
Today, they are a hybrid communications and organizing hub that produces groundbreaking content on state politics, trains Wyoming’s progressive leaders of tomorrow, and organizes the largest grassroots movement for healthcare access this state has ever seen.
Currently growing and dynamically nonpartisan, the nonprofit advocacy organization fights for issues that are critical to young people, working families, and the well-being of the state.
Position Overview: As organizing director, you will play a leadership role building people power in Wyoming, helping to spearhead the grassroots movement for Medicaid expansion and other policies that ensure Wyoming can look toward a just, equitable, and prosperous future.
Currently offering a supportive and flexible work environment, competitive salary and benefits, opportunities for professional development and growth, and access to a network of badass Wyomingites fighting for the world in which they want to live.
This position is based in Laramie, Wyoming, a university town and adventure outpost at the foot of the Snowy Range. We will also consider applicants based in Cheyenne.
Duties: As organizing director, you will:
- Design and manage statewide and local issue-based campaigns
- Direct and supervise organizing staff, including a Laramie-based statewide community organizer and part-time field organizers in dispersed locations
- Develop and implement training for staff and volunteers on public actions, recruiting new grassroots leaders, storytelling, and other organizing skills
- Coordinate outreach events (canvassing, tabling, phone banking, etc.) to recruit new movement members who are directly impacted by the issues we address
- Organize actions (such as rallies and town halls) to pressure lawmakers and increase public participation in our campaigns
- Conduct one-on-one organizing conversations to build relationships with new volunteers, assign tasks, and develop grassroots leaders
- Communicate with statewide constituents through Better Wyoming’s digital tools, including SMS, social media, and email
Qualifications: The ideal candidate will have:
- Grassroots organizing experience either in a volunteer or work capacity
- Experience facilitating trainings, meetings, and group discussions
- Experience managing teams of volunteers
- The ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to be a strategic problem solver
- The ability to communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- A commitment to social, racial, and economic justice and an understanding of challenges facing marginalized Wyoming communities
- IF YOU LACK THE EXPERIENCE FOR THIS DIRECTOR-LEVEL POSITION BUT STILL WANT TO MAKE CHANGE, apply for our entry-level “Community Organizer” position instead
Salary/pay: $50-54k DOE to start with opportunities for increase
Application Deadline: They will conduct interviews with select applicants as applications are received. The application period will close May 31. If you apply and do not hear back by then, give them a nudge. Otherwise, hang tight.
How to Apply: This position is open immediately. To apply, please send a resume, cover letter, and contact information for two references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Feel free to send questions about the position or the application process in advance.
Better Wyoming is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization and an equal-opportunity employer.