Silverthorne and Minturn, CO
Position Titles: Timber Stand Improvement Crew and Sale Preparation Crew
Organization: White River National Forest, US Forest Service
Location: Silverthorne and Minturn, CO
Organization Overview: The White River National Forest is currently recruiting to fill positions for summer 2022. Positions will be available at the GS-4 ($15.47/hr) and GS-5 ($17.31/hr) levels. These are temporary assignments that normally start in May and may run up to six months. Length of assignments and pay rate depend on applicant availability and qualifications, project workloads, and funding. These positions are primarily field going and require good physical condition. Project work is usually completed in a crew setting, but duties may also require working alone or with groups of volunteers. Government housing may be available. For more details contact the supervisor listed for each position.
Timber Stand Improvement Crew Overview:
Announcement Numbers: 23-TEMP3-R2-3137-4DT-MM, 23-TEMP3-R2-3138-5DT-MG
Duties for these positions consist of a variety of project in support of the vegetation management program including:
- Performs timber stand improvement activities such as thinning dense stands of trees, felling hazard trees, and insect and disease sanitation.
- Completes regeneration surveys in previously harvested and planted stands
- Work requires operating a chainsaw for a sustained period
For more information contact Sarah Pearson at email@example.com; (970) 262-3498
Sale Preparation Crew Overview:
Announcement Numbers: 23-TEMP3-R2-2466-4DT-MM, 23-TEMP3-R2-0041-5DT-MM
Duties for these positions consist of a variety of projects in support of the vegetation management program including:
- Designate/GPS Timber Sale boundaries
- Interpret/Implement silviculture prescriptions
- Measure and record tree heights, diameters and defect
- Perform stand exam and regeneration surveys
- General Forest Health Monitoring
For more information contact Shelby Limberis at (970) 827-5161; firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Window: September 29 – October 6
How to Apply: These positions will be advertised on the USA Jobs Website for only eight days. Selections will likely take place in January 2023, with start dates varying by location. Applicants are advised to make every effort to be available by phone and/or email during the selection time frame. If you have any questions please contact Heath Devoll, Heath.Devoll@usda.gov.