Prowers County, CO
Position Title: Biological Field Technician – (966)
Organization: Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc.
Location: Southeastern Colorado in Prowers County, CO
Organization Overview: Western EcoSystems Technology, Inc. (WEST), a dynamic medium size consulting firm with offices across the United States, is looking for a temporary, full-time Field Biologist with exceptional avian identification skills. Since 1990, WEST has grown to be one of the premier environmental and statistical consulting firms in the United States. WEST has a permanent core of professionals with broad experience in basic and applied ecological studies and the sophisticated analysis of natural resource data.
- Conducting standardized avian use surveys (i.e. avian point count surveys),
- Other survey tasks will be assigned as opportunity arises (post-construction monitoring, lek surveys, raptor nest surveys, check and maintain bat acoustic detectors),
- Fieldwork will require long, physically challenging days in a range of temperatures and wind speeds,
- Safe operation of a four-wheel drive vehicle and field truck,
- Safely managing hazards typical of the environment (sharp vegetation, biting insects, dust, extreme heat, cold and wind),
- Navigation using a compass and Global Positioning System devices,
- Work schedule will be variable based on weather and survey schedule and is expected to average
- 40 hours per week, with potential for overtime.
This is a general description of the functions for this position and is not inclusive of the duties which may be associated with this position.
- Candidates must be capable of identifying western birds by sight and sound, including eagles in varying age classes. Experience in raptor identification is highly preferred.
- Candidates must be able to record data correctly and legibly, follow specific study and safety protocols, and trouble-shoot problems in the field.
- Previous experience conducting avian surveys is preferred, but WEST will train the right candidate
- Candidates should be able to interact positively and professionally with project manager, field lead, landowners, and other technicians.
- Candidate must be a self-starter, have the ability to appear for work on time (surveys will begin at sunrise), maintain focus for long periods of time, follow instructions from the supervisors, maintain positive attitude, and accept guidance and constructive criticism.
- Candidate must be able to perform duties with limited supervision.
- Consistent and effective communication with the team is imperative.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude in varying environmental conditions, including rain, high wind, and very cold or hot temperatures.
- Preferred candidates will have experience operating 4WD vehicles on unimproved roads and in mud or snow conditions
- Candidates may encounter snakes, insects, and other wildlife.
- Proficient use of topographic maps, compass, GPS units, and other field equipment required.
- Applicants must be in good physical condition, as surveys will be conducted in locations where temperatures and conditions can be extreme.
- Candidate must be able to lift heavy equipment (up to 40 lbs).
After an offer of employment is made, the candidate must successfully pass a pre- employment background check, drug screening, and a DMV records check that meets WEST’s minimum criteria to operate a motor vehicle on behalf of the company. A valid driver’s license will be required.
Start/End Dates: Temporary Full-Time November 2022 – October 2023
Salary/Pay: $18-21/ hour, depending on experience, partial housing reimbursement available
Application Deadline: November 1
How to Apply: Please use the online application to view the full job description as well as how to apply.